Started Methotrexate and Hydroxychloroquine today

Options
Teapot
Teapot Member Posts: 271
edited 15. Jan 2014, 04:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello All
Well I saw Rheumatologist today and he was so nice. Explaining everything in detail and put me at ease. Unlike the one that I saw in summer.

He suggested I start today on Meth.. and Hydrox.. (next week) and Folic Acid. He confirmed that I had RA. He also gave me Naproxen which he said I could use as a pain killer if needed but need not take everyday if I did not need it (again this was not explained at my summer appointment with the other consultant).

He gave me a steroid injection in my bum. Provided me with wrist splints and gel metertarsal insoles. I understand a lot more now especially as I also had the information I had gained from all my friends on this site about Meth...

My previous lung function tests and chest Xrays (taken in summer)were good so I did not have to have these today.

Bloods in 2 weeks and again in 6 weeks and I am to see him again in 8 weeks.

I daresay I will be back on with questions until I get used to this new med but I thank you all for your help in helping me come to the decision to listen to the professional. mentally I feel better.

Now I am on the lookout for a tablet box so that I can do a months supply showing me what to take daily, of the meds...where did you get yours if you use them.

Many thanks

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Valde,

Glad to hear you have a diagnosis and meds. I also take a combination of methotrexate, sulfasalazine and hydroxyl chloroquine.

I got a tablet box from my local pharmacy, and then a bigger one from the local disability living shop :? . I think they are also available via internet stockists. I've found it a really useful tool to keep track of what I've taken and what I need to take as I now take at least 15 tablets a day plus pain killers as and when I need them. I refill at the weekend, and it's convenient to take just 1 days supply out if we're eating out etc.

Hope the meds click in soon.

Deb x
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Best of luck with the meds Valde hope they work for you. Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    That sounds like a good appointment, valde. The consultant has dealt with lots of stuff and, if it's also been explained carefully to you, even better. These little things make big differences.

The lung function and chest x-ray were probably done with a view to your going on meth. If so, given that they were OK, I think it's unlikely they'll need to repeat them.

As for pill boxes – I know they do weekly ones but I'm not sure about monthly. I just keep mine in a drawer. You soon get used to the meth and folic acid days.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    So, a better appointment for you (you have a firm diagnosis) and I think that is a good thing. Meth and hydroxy are a very common pairing of initial meds and I hope they soon start to help matters. As I understood it the bum steroid is a general boost (unlike a specific joint injection) and I hope that helps too: if it does please do not think that your troubles are over, because they are not, the steroid masks the trouble.

I bought a number of tablet boxes (weekly, fortnightly and monthly) from various sources (Boots and my local chemists) but now keep the meds in a box because that saves having to dole them all out into tiny compartments. Life is too short or that malarkey. :wink: We manage so you can too. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Valde
    Im glad the appointment went smoothly for you,it makes such a difference.. and I do wish you well on the meds...please let us know how it goes..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Options
    Good luck with this combination of meds Valde - I hope you feel an improvement sooner rather than later. Mat x
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • Teapot
    Options
    Many thanks to you all for your good wishes and thoughts. I am so grateful for this site.
  • ouchpotato
    ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
    Options
    Valde, I have been having a look for you for the pill organiser and the closest I can find so far is a fourteen day organiser, with 4 compartments per day in a black Filofax type wallet. It's 12.99 on e**y. I'll keep my eye out though
    x
  • Teapot
    Options
    Thank you I will take a look on e...y. Thanks for taking the time to do this for me