Folic Acid Confusion!

Options
jojo03
jojo03 Member Posts: 77
edited 15. Jan 2014, 04:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all,

Can the people on methotrexate please advise? My consultant told me to take one 5mg folic acid tablet a couple of days after my meth day.
My GP wrote out the prescription for folic acid and said to take one folic acid tablet on meth day (well I know that's not right!).
The pharmacist said the usual practice was to take one 5mg folic acid tablet every day, except meth day.
I'm only on my second week of meth, and so far have kept with what the consultant said and am taking one folic acid tablet two days after the meth. Should I be taking one every day, except meth day, does anyone know?

Thanks,
Jo.

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jojo

Stick to what your consultant said. I don't know what dose of meth you are on but I'm guessing not a really high dose at this stage? In my experience they start you on a low dose of folic acid and only increase that if you show signs of needing a higher dose. This isnt the case for everybody. My consultant started me on one a week and to combat side effects at 25mg of meth I am now on just three a week. It is correct that you don't take on your meth day. If in doubt then feel free to call your consultant but in my experience the prescription given by your consultant is perfectly normal. I think it used to be the case that you took folic acid every day as I have a dim recollection of my GP querying my consultant's lower prescription and in response my consultant cited research that higher than necessary doses of folic acid can actually cause heart problems but that is a very dim recollection so it might not have been the heart.
    Hope that helps
    LV
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    There's no set rule. For the 13 years I've been on meth I've taken my folic acid, as directed by my rheumatologist, the day after meth day and also three days after that. I've had no problems. People who do have problems are advised to take it every day except meth day.

In your case your GP has got it wrong. Let's hope it was a slip of the pen. However, you do need to ring your surgery and make sure they've got it right for your repeat prescriptions.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    There's no set rule. For the 13 years I've been on meth I've taken my folic acid, as directed by my rheumatologist, the day after meth day and also three days after that. I've had no problems. People who do have problems are advised to take it every day except meth day.

In your case your GP has got it wrong. Let's hope it was a slip of the pen. However, you do need to ring your surgery and make sure they've got it right for your repeat prescriptions.

take sticky's advice , its always right , personaly think everyone on MTX should take folic acid 6 days a week apart from MTX day
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I take the FA as and when I remember (which is rarely because I have very little trouble with the meth). I am aware that GPs don't know enough about us or our meds so I always follow the advice of my rheumatologist. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    I've been on Methotrexate 25mg injections for years. I only take Folic Acid one day a week as per my Consultant and that is 2 days after I give my methotrexate injection.
    Hope you can get clarification, I'd give the Consultants secretary a ring if you're not sure but if you remember him/her saying to take it once then that's what I'd do.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    My rheumy said to take Folic Acid 3 days after my methotrexate-Meth on Friday, Folic Acid on Monday- they wrote it in my little book to remind me, but personally I'd be ringing the rheumy help line to check if I were you.

Hope the meth clicks in quickly and you get relief from it.

Deb xx
  • fortuna
    fortuna Member Posts: 149
    Options
    i was given this info yesterday -Take 10mg Folic acid 2 days after Methotrexate
    Fortuna
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    hi fortuna
    I was told by my roomy to take my folic acid 10mg 2 days before
    i have my methotrexate injection.
    so yes we all take our F/A at different times and amounts.
    good luck with yours.
    mike26..
  • jojo03
    jojo03 Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone.

I'll stick with the consultant's advice for now, and I'm seeing the nurse practitioner at the beginning of March, so I'll double-check with her then. I seem to remember she told me something different to the consultant too, so I guess all heath professionals have their own ideas about what's best!!

No wonder we're all confused!