My first visit to see RA Consultant

Options
fortuna
fortuna Member Posts: 149
edited 15. Jan 2014, 06:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Yesterday I had my first consult and was pleasantly surprised. I was weighed and did a urine sample and was shown in exactly on time. The female consultant was very welcoming and spent 45 minutes with me telling me that she felt it was RA in both hands and that I will start on Methotrexate and steroids. She explained everything very carefully and wrote down the dosages and gave me lots of info leaflets. These I am keeping in a folder as I am good at losing important pieces of paper!
She also said that having type 1 diabetes will make life a little more difficult with rises in my blood sugar levels. I then had a chest xray to make sure my lungs are OK and I see my GP next Tuesday and if I have the all clear the journey will begin.
It is depressing to know that I have it but at least something is being done and hopefully things will improve. And it was so nice to have someone who is approachable and to be given info about the RA nurses that I can phone if I need to.
Fortuna :):)

Comments

• chez86
    chez86 Member Posts: 37
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    So glad to hear your appointment went well Fortuna! Hopefully this will continue for your future consultations.
    My consultant is a lady who is lovely, however she is currently on long term sick and I have had to see a different consultant the last 2 times..he is alright but just don't have the same connection with him. Its nice when you find someone who you feel comfortable with.
    I too keep all my RA stuff in a folder, makes finding blood forms quicker!!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I won't tell you about my first appointment because it was the polar opposite of yours! I am pleased that you got on with the consultant, that you have a diagnosis and a plan; we will be with you every step of the way.

Starting the meds is daunting but, after a life-time of taking medical drugs I no longer think twice about beginning something. I do have a folder in which I keep all my rheumatology bumph, including my bloods record booklet - have you been given one of those? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • fortuna
    Options
    Thanks both for your thoughts. And yes I am finding it a bit daunting but there is not much choice with RA. I consider myself lucky that it has waited until I am much older (I think) than lots of people on here. So at least my
    scripts are free and that must be a huge saving.
    Yes DD i have my little drug monitering book and info on MXT and Steroids.
    Now Steroids really do worry me. I know of a lady with terrible skin on her legs from prolonged steroid use. But I understand they don't let you you use them for too long? I don't seem to have found much on here about Steroids - probably not looking in the right place.
    Must add I am so glad I found this site so helpful and friendly.
    Fortuna
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hi fortuna,

Glad you saw a nice rheumatologist and had a productive appointment. I understand the anxiety about the steroids; my experience is that no medical professional likes long-term use of them. Did they give any indication of how long they expect you to be on them? Do give the rheum nurses a phone call, that's what they're there for.

All the best of luck.
  • fortuna
    Options
    Prescription says 20 mg 1/52
    15 mg 1/52
    10 mg 1/52
    4 mg 1/52
    Which means just a month does that seem usual to you? I suppose it is all a bit hit and miss in the beginning.
    Thanks for your thoughts,
    Fortuna
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I am so glad you had a good appointment , it makes such a difference when they talk to you and explain what is going to happen.
    I do wish you well on the drugs and please let us know how you are getting on xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    What amount of what? I don't understand your list. Some people are initially given steroids to help them get quicker relief. I was on them for four years (because I had a three month spell with nothing) but I spent the fourth year weaning myself off them because of the long-term implications. A month is neither here nor there.

I love oral steroids because they fool me into thinking all is better. They do a very good job of masking symptoms but I can now live without them. DD
  • fortuna
    Options
    Sorry DD. I was talking about steroids but omitted the name. Prednisilone. I think she thought a month might be a start to relieve some of the pain.
    Fortuna
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ahh, pred. (That is said by me in the same way that others say Ahh, Bisto. I loathe Bisto but adore pred :wink: )

Once upon a time I had to stop all my meds because something went wrong. After six weeks I could barely move but had to get to a rheumatology appointment. My doc took one look and scribbled out a script for Pred. I was told to take four 5mg tablets that afternoon. I did and (as per usual) expected nothing. By 6pm I felt wonderful and I was smitten. :D I stayed on comparatively low doses for the next two years but, after a very stern lecture from my favourite rheumatology nurse, I decided to wean myself off them, and decided to take a year to do it. I am glad I did.

Your situation is very different to mine but, as I said, a month should be long enough to feel a difference. I would urge you, however, not to just stop taking them: one's body very quickly adjusts to having its work done for it and it can take a while for it to 're-learn' making its own. They should also be taken in the morning rather than at night. If you do the latter they can pep you up and make sleep very difficult. DD