dissbled?

supereds
supereds Member Posts: 10
edited 17. Jan 2014, 07:06 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi
Im new here please bear with me,i have multible joint ostoarthritis right knee replaced twice in 13 years.Left hip 5 operations all failed result total hip replacement ,servere osteoarthritis in spine,left knee riddled with arthritis hope this is making some sort of sense just had my oramorf.im awaiting kneecap replacent surgery in 4 weeks on right knee. The question im trying to ask if im classed as partial dissabled.

cheers phill

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,689
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Phil and welcome to the forum.

There's actually quite a simple answer to that question - it depends what you think. There is no longer a register of disabled people. I was on it for years from the early '70s. Once it became illegal to discriminate against people on the grounds of their disability the register was scrapped. We are now disabled if we consider ourselves to be and, if we consider we have been discriminated against because of our disability, we have cause for complaint.

I hope that helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • supereds
    Thanks for the reply sticky it does help.I was 42 when i had my first knee replacement ,my consultant was very reluctant to do the replacement due to my age but because my knee was so riddled with the arthritis i had a hole inch wide on the the under side of my knee cap.He said he never seen anything like with a man of my age,not being big headed i was very fit 10half stone .He asked if he could do a head to toe MRI scan on my body thats when he found out how bad my joints and spine was it changed my life completly.Lost my job this week as a handyman due to my condition and ongoing surgeries my company tried everything to keep me on but they just could not accomodate my condition.I am 55 years old now trying to find another job is going to be very hard i suppose that was the reason i asked the original question sorry ive gone on a bit but its nice to get it off my chest

cheers again phill
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, that made perfect sense and yes, I would class you as disabled in that you are unable to do what others can without thought. I have two forms of arthritis and many affected joints, I have a Blue Badge and claim Disabled Living Allowance (now called the Personal Independence Payment). There is another board on this forum called Living with Arthritis, please post again there for support as more people tend to be on there than here - there is a very useful thread on there with tips and hints from members about the various things we do or have invented to make life easier for ourselves. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I would consider you to be disabled....what do you think?.....as has been said there is no longer a register of disabled.

I have osteo arthritis in my hips, lower spine, ankle and neck. Due my 2nd hip replacement next Friday. I also have kypho scoliosis. I have a blue badge but no benefits.

I try to do most things even if I have to do them a completely different way to able bodied people :lol: I cant walk foar but due to my scooter {rarely used now} my 4 wheel rollator and crutches and my car.....I can manage to get most places and do a lot of things.

Love
    Hileena
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Hi Phil ,And welcome ,In honest answer to your question ,Yes I would say you are disabled as I am not because ,of how others see me but I have limitations and restrictions on my life as you do ,Hopefully though other doors and oportunities are still out there you are still young and that retirement age is moveing up and up ,Good luck with everything hugs (((((())))Marrianne :)
  • supereds
    hi again
    thank you all for your replies its great to chat with people who know what im going through,hope you keep well.

cheers phill
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Phil
    The other have said it all, if you have anymore questions I would put them in living with arthritis..its were most people go for support.
    Like you have said its so good to talk to people that understand..
    Love
    Barbara