Costochondritis - how to ease the pain?

Options
Kitty
Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
edited 4. Jun 2021, 10:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I have RA among other things, and have recently developed Costochondritis. It started on my right side and wasn't too bad, but today it has been on my left side. The top two ribs, and my sternum. It feels as though the pain is actually in my heart, but I know it isn't. I've taken Paracetamol, but wondered what others with this condition took - or do you get a prescription pill for it?

Kath

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

Tagged:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh dear, I sympathise (I can't empathise because I don't think I've had this, I've only pulled my intercostal muscles). There are some around who have had this and I think the general tenor is that one just has to get on with things until it eases; it's another thing where the medicos cannot do that much to help but don't take my word for it. Are you due to see your GP soon? He would be the one to advise because he knows you and your medical history. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ouchpotato
    ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
    Options
    Kath, I feel for you. I have this too and it's horrible. Unfortunately I have not found anything to help it, apart from holding a hot water bottle to it and that's not always practical. Even strong painkillers don't do anything for it, in my case at least. The second I get inside the door off comes the bra, as I can't bear anything around my ribs! I know none of this helps you but at least you know you're not alone.

x
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    I have has this off and on since June last year.
    Its the worst thing ever to get. When I got in June last year I was on holiday in Cornwall and we didn't know what it was, I ended up in hospital for 2 days as result.

Things that I find has helped is CoCodamol, or Tramadol (not together obviously!). Or Deep heat on the affected area.

I ended up in hospital on New Years Day as this flared up again and I thought I was going to die! The symptoms are similar to a heart attack.

I don't envy anyone who has this condition.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Kath
    I have OA but a couple of years ago suffered with pain in my ribs and sternum...we never did get to the bottom of it...you search rib pain at the top of the forum and hopefully it will come up....I know its blinking painful and on top of your RA...could you not have a word with your GP or are you like me dont like bothering them...I will go and have a search see what I can some up with..x
    Hello Kath again just got back before the edit button disappeared..its looks like it could be inflammation of your rib cage..that is one thing coming up...not sure if you take antiinflams but I would see your GP..see if he can give you anything...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • evelf47
    evelf47 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi, I too have Ra and PR and get costochondritis as well. I have always had in my lower ribs but just before christmas I got it in my left upper ribs sort of behind my breast. I had to go to A and E as it mimicked a heart attack.
    Really I think all you can do is take pain killers and be careful with your movements. They gave me anti biotics this time as I was having a problem catching my breath. Still can't
    Ie on my side and don't have left my bra off as it's so uncomfortable .
  • Kitty
    Options
    Today is not so bad, but thanks for all your comments. I know it is Costochondritis as the nurse at the breast clinic told me. I was having worries that I had breast cancer on the other side (was having chemo for it on the left side) and she said no signs of a new cancer, it's 'ONLY' Costochondritis :roll: To be fair, she did warn me it would sometimes feel as though I was having a heart attack.

ouchpotato, I can understand your problem with the bra. I no longer wear one. Only have one boob anyway so it would be pointless :lol:

I'll stick to Ibuprofen and/or paracetamol, but will mention it to breast surgeon next week and see what he/she says.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• jen0071313
    jen0071313 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    kathleenT wrote:
    Today is not so bad, but thanks for all your comments. I know it is Costochondritis as the nurse at the breast clinic told me. I was having worries that I had breast cancer on the other side (was having chemo for it on the left side) and she said no signs of a new cancer, it's 'ONLY' Costochondritis :roll: To be fair, she did warn me it would sometimes feel as though I was having a heart attack.

ouchpotato, I can understand your problem with the bra. I no longer wear one. Only have one boob anyway so it would be pointless :lol:

I'll stick to Ibuprofen and/or paracetamol, but will mention it to breast surgeon next week and see what he/she says.

I remember when I went to my GP about my chest pain, he poked me on my sternum and I jumped out of the chair. Immediately said it's costochondritis, laughed about me thinking I was dying and told me to continue with my normal Naproxen and Tramadol.
  • Kitty
    Options
    Something similar happened to me at the breast clinic Jen. The nurse got me on the couch on one side and practically jumped on me. I screamed and almost leapt off the couch but ended up laughing at myself!!! :o

Some improvement today, it seems to get worse at night. xxx

• jen0071313
    jen0071313 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm the same, worse at night and worse when lying down.

Sleeping propped up seems to help.... but I can never actually get a proper sleep propped up. x