Decided to go private

Options
crabby85
crabby85 Member Posts: 40
edited 17. Jan 2014, 04:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Im on a 6 month waiting list to see the Rheumatologist and it all got too much for me yesterday. The pains, the not knowing, the waiting...

So i rang the private hospital and they have a slot on Friday afternoon.

I feel relieved im going to see someone but dont know what to expect. I feel completely lost - i am in pain in most of my joints (and some areas that arent joints, like forearms) but theres no swelling, no obvious signs of anything. I dont know if a private consultation is any different to the nhs, i just want them to be thorough and find out whats wrong with me :( The blood tests ive had so far (and seems like they've tested me for everything they can in the gp surgery) have all drawn a blank! The gp referred me as she was kind of stumped as to why im getting these pains. I just feel so abnormal because i havent got obvious signs of anything but feel dreadful. :(

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Crabby, I am so glad you have your appointment on Friday as it is the waiting and not knowing that can sometimes be the hardest. I honestly do not know if they will do anything different because you are private. They will probably do the usual looking, prodding, x-rays. bloods I hope someone comes along that has been private to answer your question, good luck for Friday, please let us know how you get on................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Crabby

I am sorry to read about the pain you are in, you being young too and with a young baby to look after. Thank goodness family are there for you.

I do hope your appointment goes well for you. You can at least rest assured that you will see the named rheumatologist and not "a member of the team" or however they seem to phrase it when attending via NHS. Hopefully your GP has sent an informative referral letter to the rheumi. He may be able to access your blood results but quite often they prefer to do their own tests so may start from scratch. Take your pain diary along which I think you mentioned you have started and a list of questions you may wish to ask.

At least you will be seen by the end of this week. Do let us know how you go on.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    crabby85 wrote:
    Im on a 6 month waiting list to see the Rheumatologist and it all got too much for me yesterday. The pains, the not knowing, the waiting...

So i rang the private hospital and they have a slot on Friday afternoon.

I feel relieved im going to see someone but dont know what to expect. I feel completely lost - i am in pain in most of my joints (and some areas that arent joints, like forearms) but theres no swelling, no obvious signs of anything. I dont know if a private consultation is any different to the nhs, i just want them to be thorough and find out whats wrong with me :( The blood tests ive had so far (and seems like they've tested me for everything they can in the gp surgery) have all drawn a blank! The gp referred me as she was kind of stumped as to why im getting these pains. I just feel so abnormal because i havent got obvious signs of anything but feel dreadful. :(

6 month waiting list is a long time, I was due to see a new Rheumatolgist in August of this year (Appointment made in oct/nov) I eventually got them to see me in early march after kicking up a fuss.

I can't really offer any advice on what to expect at the first appointment, I was a child when I had my first appointment and don't even remember it. Do let us know how it goes and good luck.
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    6 months is a shockingly long time to wait for an appointment. Aren't there national guidelines, or targets, or whatever they are called for waiting times?

I wish you the best with your consultation on Friday.
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    National target is 18 weeks I think
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi Crabby
    Wow 6 months that's dreadful and certainly not hitting the governments targets.
    I am just about to get medical health insurance for my daughter as I,want her to have the benefit of faster healthcare. It's quite expensive and the one I've found will cover her chronic condition (ulcerative colitis) after she has had the policy for 2 years even if she has had medical treatment in those 2 years as most policies say you have to be symptom free for those 2 years and if you have had medical treatment you have to start the 2 year wait again which is not possible for her as she's in a constant flair.
    The consultant will ask you lots of questions like is the pain and stiffness worse on a morning, how long it takes to get dressed and how long does the stiffness last before you can move around.
    It might be worth writing such things down and also any questions you have as I always leave thinking why didn't I,ask him that!
    He will probably send you for blood tests and maybe X-rays too if you are feeling nervous take someone with you for support.
    I,hope all,goes well on Friday
    Maria
  • lulubell69
    lulubell69 Member Posts: 110
    Options
    Hi crabby
    When I first exhibited the symptoms of RA my gp was totally uninterested, even when I went to the surgery in a wheelchair as I couldn't walk. Long story. He wouldn't refer me to a rheumatologist, receptionist said he was too busy!!!! Anyway, I went private and he fully examined me, gave me two steroid injections in knees and made a follow up appointment soon after (NHS). It cost about 180 but it allowed me to jump the queue and I was seen to much quicker. The consultant told me that my gp should have referred me immediately and I would have been seen within two weeks ( guidelines).
    I initially tried all different roots, a and e, walkin centre, numerous gp visits, etc but no one was interested in helping. From exhibiting the first symptoms to seeing the rheumatologist (privately) the RA had spread throughout my body.
    Good luck
    Les
  • crabby85
    Options
    Thankyou all for your replies.

I picked up copies of my last set of blood tests from my gp surgery today so i can take them with me to the consultant tomorrow, so he knows exactly what they've tested me for already (i'm so needle-phobic, but i know he'll want to do some more blood tests!) The reason the gp referred me in the first place is because one result showed an 'inflammatory marker' - she had the test repeated about 3 weeks later and told me everything was fine the second time round but would refer me anyway. I've just looked at the copy and it is clearly marked out on the sheet in bold print with the word 'high' on both tests. Im not sure why she told me it was ok now if it is still high. I will show the consultant tomorrow. Maybe he'll repeat the test.

Still in pain today, tomorrow cant come quick enough.
  • crabby85
    Options
    lulubell69 wrote:
    Hi crabby
    When I first exhibited the symptoms of RA my gp was totally uninterested, even when I went to the surgery in a wheelchair as I couldn't walk. Long story. He wouldn't refer me to a rheumatologist, receptionist said he was too busy!!!! Anyway, I went private and he fully examined me, gave me two steroid injections in knees and made a follow up appointment soon after (NHS). It cost about 180 but it allowed me to jump the queue and I was seen to much quicker. The consultant told me that my gp should have referred me immediately and I would have been seen within two weeks ( guidelines).
    I initially tried all different roots, a and e, walkin centre, numerous gp visits, etc but no one was interested in helping. From exhibiting the first symptoms to seeing the rheumatologist (privately) the RA had spread throughout my body.
    Good luck
    Les

Gosh, how terrible no-one was willing to take the time to help. I know what you mean though, i feel so insignificant when i go to the gp. Good job you went private but it shouldnt have to be the case! x
  • crabby85
    Options
    maria09 wrote:
    Hi Crabby
    Wow 6 months that's dreadful and certainly not hitting the governments targets.
    I am just about to get medical health insurance for my daughter as I,want her to have the benefit of faster healthcare. It's quite expensive and the one I've found will cover her chronic condition (ulcerative colitis) after she has had the policy for 2 years even if she has had medical treatment in those 2 years as most policies say you have to be symptom free for those 2 years and if you have had medical treatment you have to start the 2 year wait again which is not possible for her as she's in a constant flair.
    The consultant will ask you lots of questions like is the pain and stiffness worse on a morning, how long it takes to get dressed and how long does the stiffness last before you can move around.
    It might be worth writing such things down and also any questions you have as I always leave thinking why didn't I,ask him that!
    He will probably send you for blood tests and maybe X-rays too if you are feeling nervous take someone with you for support.
    I,hope all,goes well on Friday
    Maria

Medical health insurance is the way to go if you can afford it. Im lucky that my parents are paying for me to be seen tomorrow. x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    GPs know a little about a lot, whereas rheumatologists know a lot about a little. I think one thing is true - it takes a confident professional to be equable when their 'judgement' is called into question, especially by a mere 'amateur'. :wink:

I went for a private consultation many years ago and discovered that my NHS docs were doing all they could. Your situation is different and I hope that you can get a much clearer idea about what is going on with you and why. Please let us know how you get on, yes? I hope you have made a list of the things that are causing you the most trouble because, although we intend to mention everything, once we're in that room our good intentions have an unfortunate tendency to vanish. Good luck! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • fortuna
    fortuna Member Posts: 149
    Options
    Good luck tomorrow
    Fortuna
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Crabby
    I think you have done the right thing ..at least you will hopefully be a bit nearer and can still be treated on the NHS..its awful how you have had to wait 6 months..good luck with the appointment and please let us know how it goes x
    Love
    Barbara