Trying to stay positive

celebrationb
celebrationb Member Posts: 134
edited 15. Feb 2014, 10:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Before Xmas I felt very low, stresses of Christmas and being self employed etc. I didn't eat much, moody, very very down, felt Ill. Not sure what happened but my daughter give me a small positive thinking banner for the wall. I was very busy for NYE with work. My mum and friends told me to stop my sport but after talking to doc, arthritis care guys, I decided that I can still work making changes and train but be careful, I have great guys who understand my medical problem at the club.
The banner my daughter made me there was a photo of my father saying how proud of me he would have been if he was alive. He battled with his health too. That helped too.
So I have decided to battle on with my trapped fermal nerve and oa. Change the way I do things to make it easier.
Thanks for the replies on the forum for helping too. :D

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Aww bless its not easy to stay positive, especially when in so much pain, but at the end of the day we have to try..what a lovely daughter you have to think of the banner...you have good friends round you and I know you can do it, if it helps have a good long rant ...it is a good release..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I agree with Barbara it isn't easy staying positive, there are times when I hit a low ebb due to pain. You have a diamond of a Daughter who is there to support you and amazing friends who are there to lift you up when you are down. We are always here to give you that extra step up to the positive mountain whenever you need it.
  • celebrationb
    Thank you. It is hard to stay positive when uncomfortable.
    I am glad of the forum as it helps understand OA as hearing peoples stories.
    My daughter Lyndsay is dylaxic ( cant spell that word) she was told last year so we help each other with problems. She has a postitive attitude to her problem too. It has not stopped her doing what she wants. I am so proud of her and my son who is great with me to and not forget the hubby too.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    I am so glad you have such a good family round you..it makes such a difference....I do feel for these people that are on there own...you look after yourself and please let us know how you are getting on from time to time..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My professional working life was working as a private tutor for dyslexics, I set up my own little business two years before the arthritis hit and battled on for fifteen or so years before it all got too much. No matter.

There are always two ways to look at things - the negative (which is easy) and the positive (which is harder). The odd negative thought is OK from time-to-time but it must not become a habit because it doesn't help us, it just harms us. What's the point? Well done to your girl for showing some initiative and well done to you for reacting so well. It's not an easy thing to do, Janet, keeping ourselves motivated and positive but it's worth it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • celebrationb
    dreamdaisy its good to know that you tutored people with dyslexics. Lyndsay in tec got distinctions all her tec life. Then last year she was told she had dyslexics got her down but still is get distinctions, she works hard and now has a postitve atttitude. She spends more time on her work but so proud she keeps challenging herself too. My son has battle migraines from a young age.
    Thank you for all your replys.
    Yes positive think helps. I am not going to sit and take it.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Hope you are feeling a bit better, you sound as though you have a wonderful family and of course they have a wonderful mum, you also have us on here anytime when you need to get things off your chest.............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • celebrationb
    Thank you your post viller that was lovely
  • dreamdaisy
    Probably the most famous dyslexic around is Sir Richard Branson - and he's not short of a bob or two, is he? Dyslexia does not mean you cannot be successful - it's the view of others that you can't be as 'good' as them. I urge your girl to keep proving everyone wrong. :wink: DD
  • celebrationb
    Getting good results in tec and wanting to work with additional needS children. She has challenged herself loads. She have proved everyone that its not holding her back .So we are all positive that nothing can hold us back to do what we want.
    Am pushing myself little by little in my ju Jitsue , lyndsay was my partner when I went black belt two years ago with trapped fermol nerve. So we have three black belts. We all work together to help each other.
    Life's a challenge, :D
  • celebrationb
    Still trying to stay positive but have had a rough time this week. Lifted some heavy boxes and knee has been very very bad.. I should have known not to lift boxes and to be more carefully.
    My knee feels swollen and sore , then my leg burns as if its on fire. I took a naproxen and paracetamol relaxed then went to bed. :(
    Went to my club and I sat out of the warm up then helped out for a while.
    But I will keep going need to work today, its just been a rough week, usual week too.
    Anyone got any ideas what else I can do if I have a rough time , does deep heat work or a ice pack or just put my feet up for a while.
    Still positive.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    Elevating it when sitting might help. And ice. (Frozen peas wrapped in a cloth.)

There's a technique to lifting heavy objects. I guess the lifting itself mightn't have done much harm but, if you also turned ie swivelled on your knee, that would. I think much is just a learning curve - learning what you can and can't do. Chalk it up to experience and let someone else lift the boxes in future. None of us are as indispensible as we like to believe.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • celebrationb
    I have been in a lot of discormfort (pain) with my knee/leg, but I went to my club and each time I am trying to do more. Last night I stretched more on my legs and it does not sound much but its a lot to me. My coach asked me if i want to be in a line up which means being thrown and throwing, well I was worried about being thrown but with the coach watching I did ok. The guys were so gentle, So It was my turn but not put weight on my legs I did some moves with lifting anyone, It felt great it be involved.
    I do a little more each time then rest with my leg with seating on the floor for a while. But it felt good and the guys were brilliant.
    I dont want to give up but stay active as much as I can.
    Over the past few years I have not been able to do much with the trappped nerve but now am doing a little more each time, but went black belt with the leg problem.
    It has been hard to keep going with the club, wanted to give ups lots of times but teaching young kids so good, seeing them get there belts.
  • celebrationb
    I had acupuncture on my leg last week, the different is very good. I can now lift my leg higher now but my oa on my knee. Is not been good. I have benn very busy with work this week. Just a little update.
  • dreamdaisy
    Acupuncture can yield good albeit temporary results but it won't address the underlying issue. The more you push things the worse things may become so be both careful and wary, yes? DD
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Glad you had a positive result after your acupuncture, different things help different people. But I agree with DD it's only a temporary result so be careful.
  • stickywicket
    It's good that the acupuncture is helping. Just don't get too carried away with the martial arts stuff. Any twisty movement will put pressure on the knee.
    Steven Wright
  • celebrationb
    Thank you all I will becareful. Its just good to get !movement back with the trapped nerve , I am always thinking about what I can do and can't do. Have been very busy with work also have a bad cold and then to add to it getting two wisbom teeth out next week.
    My knee has been uncomfortable a lot . (I try not to say very painfully or sore)
  • stickywicket
    Good luck with the wisdom teeth. I hope all goes smoothly.
    Steven Wright
  • celebrationb
    Thank you . not looking forward to it, also lost a filling again. Leg/knee has been not good, but its a different place on the leg. I did over do it on Thurs and suffered on Fri/sat. With four jobs and club. Not positive at the moment
  • stickywicket
    It's laudable that you work so hard but, realistically, celebrationb, I think something might have to go. Otherwise it'll be your health that goes.
    Steven Wright
  • celebrationb
    Not good got two wisdom teeth out now am sore and bruised,. Living on soft food and tablets . knee sore with cold weather, not positive at all. Just going through bad period.
    We have had some work on so busy too.
    . :x :? Not rest for wicket or ill