need your prayers again

ouchpotato
ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
edited 26. Jan 2014, 05:09 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hello all

I'm afraid I need to call on you once again for your thoughts and prayers. As you might recall my nephew was diagnosed with a brain tumour, and today he underwent brain surgery to remove it. He suffered a fit on the operating table and is now in an induced coma in intensive care. They are in Australia, which means I can't be with my sister who I am very close to and who is obviously distraught. He is a young father with 2 beautiful children of 1 and 3. Before his op he took his girlfriend to the beach and wrote 'will you marry me' in the sand, and filled it with luminous stones so that when a car's headlights hit them it all lit up. I think he knew it might not end well for him and wanted to do the right thing for her. I am brokenhearted, and it will destroy my sister if he doesn't pull through this.
So please, spare a moment to send positive thoughts and prayers his way.

Thankyou

x

Comments

• RosieGlow
    RosieGlow Member Posts: 175
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    This is so very sad, and I send you, and your sister, all the love and prayers in the world.

Try to stay optimistic. I knew of someone back in the eighties who suffered exactly as you describe. She regained full health, and is still going strong today......Much love....Rosie.x.
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    I am so very sorry Ouch,I havent met you before as I have been off line fowill r a while ,Your post really touched me as so much sad stuff since christmas ,Just hope you are takeing care of yourself at the moment its awful news but as Rosie said they will give him the best care and hopefully with his youth he will get through this lots of wishes and prayers to your sister and family in Australia and his girl friend and to you and your family (((((())))) and prayers Marriannex
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Oh Ouch, I'm so sorry to hear such awful news about your Brother, of course I'll send your Brother positive thoughts. And for you & your sister I give you warm (())'s. I know your going to be on edge until you hear any more news. My thoughts are with you & your Sister at this hard time. xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Ouch I am so sorry...your poor sister must be distraught and being so far away must be so hard...I will say a prayer or two...sending positive hugs and love...(((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • ouchpotato
    Rosie, thankyou, that does give me hope that things will work out.

Bubba, it's my nephew, not my brother. My brother had his own health scare last week with a shadow on his lung but happily that all checked out. Now it is my nephew.

Marianne, thankyou for your prayers and kind thoughts.

I just called my sister in Oz; she was on her way back to the hospital. I got some more details of what happened. He was taken in for the op, and they opened his head and were starting to operate when he started fitting...he was to be awake for the 10 hour op so they could monitor him, check that they weren't touching parts of the brain they shouldn't etc...but he then panicked and swallowed when he shouldn't as he was intubated. His saliva went into his lungs, and now he is fighting a lung infection as well. They had to induce a coma to stop the fitting and to stop him trying to pull all the tubes and lines out. When he heard her voice he momentarily came out of his coma and tried to speak but lapsed back into it, but he knew she was there. So they now have to break the news to him that he still has the tumour and they want to operate again in 4 weeks. That's if he comes out of this ok.
    They gave him options about his treatment...either take away as much as they can which would give him 2 good years with his children or take less of the tumour which would give him longer but would paralyse him. He chose the 2 good years. It's desperately sad.
    Anyway, they are going to bring him out of the coma in the morning (which is tonight our time) so I am praying that he comes out of it ok.

Thankyou again for your prayers and thoughts.

x
  • ouchpotato
    Barbara, thankyou.

x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    what an awful choice for him to have to make. i'm sending positive thoughts and prayers that he will recover his health and enjoy life with his family,

elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Oh Ouch......I'm so sorry ....you have had so much to put up with recently
    My prayers are going out.....for nephew, and all the family and of course you

Let us know

Love
    Hileena
  • ouchpotato
    Elizabeth, an impossible choice isn't it? He is a real outdoor boy, goes surfing etc so I guess being paralysed is no life for him. My heart breaks for him.

Hileena, it seems to be never ending, it's been a terrible start to the year. First my brother, then my nephew. I had a lot of upset and worry over my ex as well towards the end of last year so all in all a horrible time. It makes my problems pale into insignificance really. I'm just waiting by the phone for news. Of course I'll let you know

x
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    so sorry to hear this ouchpotato
    and i wish your nephew all the best and hope it works out for him,
    life can be so unfair.
    I will say a prayer for him and his family.
    mike26.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I don't do prayers (things will happen as they happen) but I certainly hope he comes through this. Life can be a filthy business and sometimes very far removed from what it's cracked up to be. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Ouch, so sorry to hear this as if you haven't had enough of life's miseries lately to last you a lifetime, my heartfelt feelings to you and your family. I am hoping things may improve as they are learning every day........take care, we are always here for you..............Marie ((((())))) xxx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    My thoughts are with you and your nephew and his wife Ouch. That was such a difficult decision for him to make. I'm sure the operation will go well next time and he will be able to have a few quality years with his family. (((hugs)))
    Christine
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Ouch sorry about the mix up! My head was all over the place with my migraine! I suppose I can understand your Nephew's decision because he enjoys the outdoor's I suppose he want's to enjoy all the things he loves including his children, so he can be a Dad. It must have been a horrendous decision to make for him and the one he has chosen means he has to enjoy every minute he has. But you do hear of people been given so long to live and then they last a lot longer. I hope the operation goes well. You take care.
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,080
    All the very best of hopes going out to you & your family at such a tough time, wishing like others that the op goes as well as possible and better than hoped outcome, medical science being the slightly unpredictable thing that it is, as others have said. Sorry they are so far away from you too. Will look out for updates on the rearranged op date.
  • ouchpotato
    Hi everyone

Good news...my nephew has woken from his coma and is talking. He has lost all feeling in his right arm but they have said that may come back. I don't know whether he will opt to have the op again; they want to do it in 4 weeks time, but he came through this ok and that, for now, is the main thing.

Thankyou for all your thoughts (once again)

x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Sending my very best positive thoughts for your nephew...I am so glad he is awake from the coma..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • marrianne
    Thats such good news ,Yes its early days but he has done so well continued prayers for a steady improvement what a brave lad just all good wishes to you all keep strong Owchpotato ,hope your resting to (((((())))Marrianne x
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    That is good news. He'll need to recover a bit before he decides what to do. Hope you are all keeping strong.
    Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,689
    I'm so pleased, ouch. I apologise for not being on here before. I seem to have had a very busy few days.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Hi Ouch
    Fantastic news about your nephew.
    We'll just have to see what happens when he recovers a bit more

Love
    Hileena
  • ouchpotato
    Hi everyone

Had an email from my sister last night. My nephew is in good spirits and recovering. His bandages are off (my sister said it is very hard for her to look at what they have done to him) and he is due to leave hospital next Monday. She talked to the surgeon last night and they don't want to operate again as the tumour is in a crucial position in the brain - he said that without the op my nephew could have 10-20 years...very very tragic for such a young man, but originally they said that WITH the op he would have 2, so the odds are definitely better now. My sister is being very philosophical about it and said that none of us know how long we have left which is true, and I think that she is just relieved that he doesn't have to go through it again.

I'd like to think that every one of your prayers and positive thoughts have helped get him through this, so thankyou everyone.

x
  • marrianne
    Ouch .Its good news isnt it from where the poor lad was last week ,he has be given hope and time again ,with medical advancement they might be able to offer better treatments safer treatments further down the line lots of good wishes to your nephew his girl and family and to your sister ,Ouch hope you can be good to yourself now and get some well earned rest now ((((())))Marrianne :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,689
    I echo marrianne's last sentence. It must have been dreadful for all of you. Admittedly, the verdict could be better but this is much, much better than earlier and your sister sounds wonderfully positive which will help all concerned.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Hi Ouch
    This is good news......after last weeks news

You take care now and relax

Love
    Hileena (((((((((()))))))))