I have my referal!

Options
jen0071313
jen0071313 Member Posts: 10
edited 18. Jan 2014, 10:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
I actually got the letter just after the christmas period, but it's next Wednesday and i'm now starting to feel anxious about it.

Bit of background about myself, as I've not been on here since my first post. I went to see my GP late November and asked for a referral. This was a new Doctor at the practice and wholeheartly agreed this was the best course of action, given that I was in tears with the worst flare I've had ever. (I felt so crap, run down, constant burning in my knees for almost 2 weeks and stuggled to even get out my house let alone to work!) She was surprised I hadn't been referred already given the family history of R.A and my combination of symptoms.

But now my referral date is looming I just don't know what to expect, what will happen? I know they'll do bloods and an examination and ask about my history.

But what do I mention to the Rheumey? Obviously the 3 generation history and my pain ect. But do I mention silly things which I think are linked?

Such as chest pain and chest tenderness (diagnosed as coastalchrondritis by my GP), exceptionally bad flares when i'm unwell (for example I had my first ever bout of tonsilitis last week... I think I melted onto the floor I felt that poorly). Do I mention that I pick up what seems to be every bug going, infact this is the first year I've not had a flu since I got the flu vaccine due to working in a clinical area this year. Do I mention I have a history of pneumonia?

My GP has already said it's most likely R.A, so should I be expecting a diagnosis next Wednesday?(I know it might not happen) New medications?

What happens after diagnosis?

My Dad and Aunt are registered disabled because of their R.A, will I need to be too?

Do I always see the rheumy or will I be passed back to my own GP for ongoing care?

So many questions and today i'm in work after a very disturbed sleep with restless legs and burning pain overnight.

Think I just needed to get that off my chest.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Tell them everything - or even better print off a list of symptoms, pain levels, tiredness levels etc. (because it's easier to read) and hand it over. This will give them a better all-round picture of you and what is happening. As for being registered disabled that is no longer the case as such but everyone has their own limits of tolerance as to what is reasonable to live with and what not. Problems can arise when those who are judging us don't agree with what we feel (and they struggle with that because normally they are fit and healthy). You won't be passed back to your GP if RA (or another form of auto-immune arthritis is diagnosed or suspected) because they do not have the knowledge or ability to prescribe the meds we need. My consultant deals with my PsA and my GP the OA. I get on with the rest of it as best I can. DD

Good luck, please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Teapot
    Teapot Member Posts: 271
    Options
    Hello - I agree with DD. I had my appointment on Monday and went armed with a list of symptoms and questions and I felt this worked really well and I had a good appointment. Don't worry if the questions etc sound small to you because the more the doctor knows the better. Good luck and I hope it all goes well.
  • jen0071313
    Options
    Thanks guys. I was thinking of writing out a list, but I thought I wouldn't know when to stop writing my list haha.

I think I'll write down the main points, then hopefully that'll spur me onto other things.

What else do you think I can expect?
    What should I wear clothing wise? (I never wear trousers, i'm a skirt and dresses kind of girl which in this weather of course have tights coupled with them) I'm thinking my usual attire may not be practiable?

(Excuse my awful spelling I'm dyslexic)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Your spelling was fine - I ran my own little tutoring business for dyslexics for a good few years so wouldn't blink twice at apparently 'wrong' spellings. :)

Skirts are fine but I would forget the tights because socks and boots may be easier for 'access' so to speak. Thanks to the fibro I am currently wandering around in my usual ankle length efforts and Crocs! DD
  • jen0071313
    Options
    I'm always mindful of my spelling, it looks right but I get anxious it's not haha.

I shouldn't laugh at having no tights on, being better for access but I am.

I only own Dr Martins, which are great for the ankle pain I occassionally get. Good sturdy boots. :)

Can't wait to get it over with, hopefully get a proper diagnosis.

This morning I dreaded walking down the stairs, it was my turn to take the dog out which meant i'd have to do them twice :(

Then I couldn't turn the tap off or open the milk.

BLEEEH!
  • crabby85
    crabby85 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Hi

I saw the Rheumatologist yesterday and he examined most places easily - just lifted my t-shirt up so he could do some pressure points on my back/neck, i had to take my shoes and socks off though :)

He said due to swellings in my wrists and hands these 'markers' make him suspect RA and he will know more depending on how i react to the steroid injection he gave me. I have to return in 1 month.

Good luck x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    That is one of the saddest things about dyslexia - a spelling is right but looks wrong whereas a wrong spelling looks right. Hey-ho.

I have moved and no longer have to do stairs which is fabulous. The new house lacks lever taps (alas) but that can be remedied. Milk? There are gadgets. Walking a dog? Well, I can't walk without aids so I will hold off the doggy thing for the time being despite the husband being keen. We each have to find our own ways and solutions - have you looked at the hints and tips thread at the top of this forum? There are some good ideas in there. DD