Been referred to pain clinic

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 17. Jan 2014, 13:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I have been to see my physio today, who I have been seeing on and off for over 2 years. She has been really good helping me with sciatica through acupuncture, referring me to my favourite -hydrotherapy, and teaching me exercises to try to improve my symptoms.But we have decided, we have come to the end of the road for physio. Things aren`t getting any better so she has referred me to the pain clinic for injections into my back. Not sure if it will be facet joint injections or she did talk about an epidural ?? so I will have to wait for the appointment.
Any tips from people who have been to the pain clinic?
Also I have an appointment at Wrightington next Thursday, so pocket duties please if anyone is free xx
NB

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I do hope that whatever they do for you helps. :D
    I'm available for pocket duties, and hope all goes well.
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Than Numpty.
    I will have a go at anything if it `might` help!
    NB
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello NB
    I have just had my 5th appointment with my pain clinic..they are really good, but have tried to prescribe me Lidocaine patches for my back pain they have had good results with them, but sadly my GP wont prescribe them she did warn me they might not,,due to expense,,,so you ask about them...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi NB
    I've been to pain clinic.......had facet join injections....they didn't help but as you know we are all different.
    They referred me back to acupuncture.
    They gave me a lot of advice about various things.

Suggested I go to a group......Chronic pain management. I know.....similar to Arthritis Care but they are restricted to 6 sessions {or 2 depending on what one you go to} so have to stick to the book.
    This one goes on as long as we want it to......he has various classes from Scotland to Newcastle.
    He will come in with an idea what he is going to discuss with us then he might hear one person asking another about something.....could be lack of sleep {anything} and he'll say "do you want me to talk about that today?" so opff he goes on a tangent......its good, also a very social morning.

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I went to a pain clinic for a consultation and was lectured about pacing myself, resting, basically doing all the things I already do. This was of no help at all but I will be going to a pain management group (where no doubt the same will apply but I won't know 'til I get there).

Try it, you might like it and find some benefit - I hope so. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Thankyou Barbara, Hileena, and DD
    It is good to hear other people`s experiences of Pain Clinics.
    I am going into it open minded, not expecting miracles. Well, it can`t do any harm, can it?!!
    I have just had a phone call from the hospital, asking me to go to Xray before my appointment on Thursday.
    I will keep you posted how my pain clinic experience goes, when I get an appointment!
    NB
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Count me in for the pocket duties NB but remind us nearer the time as I personally wont remember. I have been to a pain clinic in the past albeit for neuropathic pain, the consultant and the pain nurse were fantastic I was tried on many different drugs even lidocaine infusions, unfortunately nothing worked for me but my consultant referred me to a teaching hospital under a new neurologist who has diagnosed my very rare condition and I am now getting treatment that helps, yes, certainly go for it they are there to help, hope it helps for you.........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles