Referral after referral after referral

Options
Robbsore
Robbsore Member Posts: 7
edited 21. Jan 2014, 06:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had a knee arthroscopy 3 years ago. My surgeon told me after the op that my arthritis was very bad and the only way forward would be a knee replacement, however, he wanted me to persevere for as long as possible to see how things went after the op. I have persevered for 3 years and both knees hurt like crazy.

I visited my GP and she said she would refer me to previous surgeon. However what I received was an appointment at orthopedics outpatients with a physiotherapist. I was x-rayed and she saw further deterioration but said the way forward was intensive physiotherapy, and to get myself a couple of walking poles.
1 month later I have received a letter to make an appointment at a physiotherapy clinic for an assessment.
Been here before! They do all they can until the write to GP saying they can do no more, then the GP will do another referral to surgeon, I’ll get an appointment again with another physiotherapist and so on and on. I firmly believe because of my age (55yrs) they are keeping me away from the surgeon who would want to do a replacement now and of course would have to do another in my lifetime.
When he told me 3 years ago that I needed a replacement I asked about my age and he said if he was unable to do a second replacement then he wouldn’t be a very good surgeon. So clearly he is happy to do it but the system is to keep me away until I am much, much older.
Just wondering if anyone else experiencing the same problem.
:?:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yup, me. I saw an orthopaedic surgeon in August 2011 because I have pretty severe OA in both knees (and both ankles) thanks to the joint damage caused by my other arthritis. He sent me away saying come back in three years time when you are 55 and three stone lighter. I am now 55 (not any lighter though!) and naturally everything has further deteriorated. My situation is different to yours because I have the other arthritis and now fibromyalgia, if yours is straightforward OA then it's worth pursuing this and getting it done. With care a new knee can last you some considerable time - it's not as 'good' as the original but a darn sight better than the original became. :wink:

Exercise is important because keeping the muscles around the joint stronger and more flexible means they better support the joint but it isn't the answer to everything. You are second-guessing what your GP might do, ask for the referral and he / she should grant it because the first route has not helped that much. Knee replacements are expensive (as are hip ops too) and with an ageing population many more are wanting the 'full service' to which they feel entitled. I reckon it's little wonder that they are rationing them but, if you persevere, I see no reason why you shouldn't get it done. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    They do 'ration' knees and try to wait until you are less likely to need the replacement replacing. This is partly due to cost and partly due to there being more potential, ongoing problems with a replacement of a replacement.

I got my first two TKRs aged 35 after RA had wrecked my originals. I still have one. The other was replaced three years ago and the new implant - which is brilliant - is a very long thight to calf job which involved bone grafts.

You may wish to push for a TKR but don't reject the physio. Even if you do get a TKR you need to be doing exercises to keep the muscles strong. I still do mine daily.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Rob and I dont think we have met so welcome to the forum
    There are quite a few people on here waiting to have new knees, suppose in some ways it make sense has having to doone for a second time can be mush harder.
    But pain is pain, and if you have had enough I would ask your surgeons secretary to make you another appointment so you can talk it over again with him, I find the secretary's to be really nice and helpful...good luck and please let us know how you get on .
    Love
    Barbara
  • Robbsore
    Robbsore Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for replies. Yes it's a tricky place to be - don't want new knees twice over, in fact don't even fancy having to have the replacements in the first instance. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was something that would actually give relief and give us a bit more mobility. My family get frustrated of my lack of mobility at my age, they don;t want to wait until I am old before I am more mobile and able to do things we all want to do!

Found out yesterday I have gone a full circle and my "intensive" physio is to be at my own surgery where my GP sent me off for to see the surgeon, back seeing (albeit a lovely girl) physio who operates out a tiny room but is able to print out exercises sheets - all of which I already have and do!

Feel deflated at the system and the options available to help arthritis sufferers!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    There is a truth to arthritis which, in this day and age of fixes and instant gratification, seems bizarre. Nothing can be done. It is not curable, it won't go away, it just has to be borne. Of my two I prefer my OA because that is very straightforward in what it does and how it does it unlike my psoriatic which is devious and requires nasty meds. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben