Prednisolone

Options
jackier
jackier Member Posts: 4
edited 19. Jan 2014, 09:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I was diagnosed with R.A two years and took a while to accept this condition. Eventually after twelve months on Hydroxychloquine and prednisolone I was advised to add methotrexate and wean off the prednisolone which I have done and was feeling OK until Wednesday this week when my right foot ballooned it is extremely hot and very painful.
This has completely knocked me sideways as I was doing OK and silly me dared to think I was going to be alright now.
I haven't had much support from the hospital as my consultant decided to leave his post and his replacement was only temporary and very forgetful during my consultation. I received a copy of the letter he sent to my GP on the first page he mentioned seeing me in three months and overleaf it stated six months the six months has been and gone and still I haven't received an appointment.
Sorry for the long post I went to see my GP this morning about my foot, it wasn't my usual doctor and he wasn't quite sure how much prednisolone I should take but decided to prescribe 25mg for a week then reduce this by 5mg every two days until I have completed the course
My question is has anyone been given prednisolone at this dosage whilst on Methotrexate.
Thanks
Jackie

Comments

• Mormodook
    Mormodook Member Posts: 130
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm on methotrexate and was having a bit of a flare in the lead up to the summer. As I was going on a busy cruise holiday for 2 weeks my kind rheumy gave me some prednisolone to ease the pain a bit while away so I could enjoy my holiday. I got 2 weeks worth which I think started at 25mg and tapered down gradually on my holiday. It worked wonders and eased the flare up a great deal :D and i managed to do so much.The symptoms crept back when I came back but it certainly wasn't as bad as before the wee kick of steroids.
    Good luck :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Hello jackier and welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid you've just discovered for yourself what all of us with an auto-immune version of arthritis find out ie prednisolone makes us feel 'cured' while achieving not very much. The methotrexate and hydroxy are not keeping your disease under control right now. Your GP has done his best but can't prescribe, or alter the dosage of, disease modifying meds. You need to see your consultant again. You should have been given a Rheumatology Helpline number by the hospital. If so, call it and ask them for advice. If not, chase up your consultant's secretary and get them to bring your appointment forward. Good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    hi Jackie ,

the problem with steriods is you can have a big flare coming off them but the MTX should have started to work , as for your foot I would get your GP to check it as you can get the same results from a skin infection like cellulitis
  • jackier
    Options
    Thank you to all who have responded to my post, I really appreciate it.
    I was wondering myself if it could be cellulitis as although before when I've had a flare up in my hands of knee they were quite swollen and warm to touch but can't remember if they were red in colour as my foot is at the moment.
    I do intend contacting the hospital to see if they have an appointment planned for me, I'm a bit worried that they will either increase my Meth or as previously mentioned adding a biological which I really don't want to do.

Thanks again
    Jackie
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    RA is a strong disease and as such requires strong meds. Pred is great as a con but that is all it is; it kids us into thinking we are better but we're not because nothing makes us better as such. The stronger meds control, not cure. I thinkthat is the mind-bending aspect of this malarkey. I am on a triple therapy which is too little too late. My PsA is well controlled but, thanks to starting the meds far too late OA has set in and of course that does not respond to the drugs for the auto-stuff. You might not want the biologics (or more meth) but believe you me, they could avoid the joint damage and possible development OA. Why have two kinds of arthritis when you could hopefully stop at one? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Options
    Sorry you are struggling. I notice you say that you don't want more MTX or Biologics but Prednsilone is a strong drug too and it also has adverse effects if taken for a long period of time. I took it for a month recently while off DMARDs and when I came off it (slowly) I had a flare up in both feet and ached all over for a few days followed by a mass outbreak of hives over my face. Whereas when I came off Methotrexate I didn't experience any bad effects at all for a while - only relief from unpleasant side effects. Biologics can be life changing for many people.

And I agree about GP checking for things other than RA. I think when they know a person has a condition they tend to just blame it for everything and can miss other conditions as a result. I don't swell much with my RA at all but my inflammatory markers go up and down according to the pain and stiffness so I know there's inflammation going on even when it's not visible. But when things are bad in my feet the swelling is still descrete and only my podiatrist really sees it. My GP certainly doesn't!
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    jackier wrote:
    I was wondering myself if it could be cellulitis

If you suspect cellulitis then do let your GP check it out asap. Hopefully it won't be but only a doc can decide.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    hi jackier
    pleased to meet you,my dosage has been droped to 70mg weekly
    10mg per day,i also take methotrexate inject weekly.and lefuinomide every day.
    I want to come down more when my rheumatology doctor lets me.
    will be starting TNFs soon.
    hope you get some relief soon.
    mike26.. :roll:
  • jackier
    Options
    Hello again, I was on prednisolone for two years and had quite a few of the side effects namely moon face, thinning skin and hair and weight gain, so was very pleased to reduce right down to 2.5mg daily when I had been on the meth for six months.
    When the hospital took x rays of my feet I was told that most of the bones had eroded I didn't know what to think as I had no problems walking until now.
    the pain is mostly under the ball of my foot, I have started the prednisolone today so hopefully will see some improvement in a day or two if not it's back to the GP.
    Thanks to all who have replied.
    Jackie