pain management

Options
jimall
jimall Member Posts: 16
edited 21. Jan 2014, 16:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
Its been a wee while since last time I was on forum.
Pain management
I have shoulder,s that have osteoarthritis have had now for 6 yrs I know its not getting better. But I have learned in how to cope better with it and I know on what Iam doing really helps and that iI do not have to take meds.
I went to see someone from the pain management team had a good long chat about this and they gave me some lit. I would recommend for a read is

http://www.paintoolkit.org
http://www.get some headspacecom/meditation
http://www.pa in concern.org.UK
I found these helpful but I didn't realize Iwas already applying these over the last 2 yrs.
So when I went back to my pain management I told them how I found these helpful. So much so they are thinking of starting a new class within NHS lothian and would I come along and do a talk.
What I think Iam saying here is that there is another way on us all getting to see the light on a very painful journey.

Jimall

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Jimall
    Its good of you to share this, especially has you have been in so much pain with that shoulder.
    And thankyou for the links I will go and read these,I do hope you continue to feel in charge of your arthritis..and wish you well for the future..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Good for you, Jimall! I'm so glad you found it helpful and thanks for sharing the info and for getting involved in spreading the word. I do hope it goes well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Good for you Jimall
    I've got exactly those things and from that came a class in Northumberland that I got to once a month.
    He is actually from Scotland {not sure where but don't think its far from Stirling} but does classes all over the place.
    I find they are excellent.
    I occasionally go back and look at the paintoolkit book I've got :lol:
    I'm even going to this months meeting which is the day before I go in for my THR
    Glad you find it helpful and hope the classes get started.
    pm me if you want to

Love
    Hileena
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Jimall thanks for the links.
  • petals
    petals Member Posts: 217
    Options
    I have just read the paintoolkit.

Unfortunately for many of us this is a luxury we can not afford.

A little bit of light hoovering in the morning followed by preparation of evening meal (while sitting own) in the afternoon. I wish.

More like, get up at 5am start shift at 6am and work hard to dead lines in a physical job which involves standing, bending, lifting.

Finish work 9 hrs later, drive home and collapse for an hour before hauling oneself into the kitchen to peel some spuds and get the meat on.

Next day, listen to some relaxing music or go for a dip in the pool.

No chance. Back to work, lifting, pulling standing till end of shift then back home. Collapse for an hour then drag the Hoover around for 5 mins before filling the washing machine with tomorrow's uniform for work. Make tea, take washing out of dryer and iron shirt and trousers for tomorrow.

Next day, talk to friends and colleges about being a team. Yeah right, they do their share and I do mine, end of.

Sorry, but you get my drift. Fine if you have naff all to do all day, but for the working person, which many of us are, this is as much use as, well, its no use at all.

We just take our pain killers and get on with it.