Not another cancellation!!

Options
bubbadog
bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
edited 20. Jan 2014, 06:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
My OH passed over a letter to me yesterday which had a Worcester Royal Hospital stamp on it. I opened it thinking it must have been the lost letter regarding the the cancellation for the beginning of January. But to my shock it was yet another cancellation of my Rhummey Appointment and this one was a crazy length of time! My 6 weekly appt has been moved to May!! And I do really need to see my Rhummey nurse as I've got a lot of joint pain at the moment. It's crazy how these cancellations keep happening especially when I'm supposed to be monitored 6 weekly!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    If you need to sort things out then ring your Rheumatology Helpline. I've never known anyone to have 6 weekly appointments. Mine are normally 6 monthly tending towards 9 monthly. If your blood results are OK in my experience they don't bother much about joint pain. It's the GP and pain meds for that.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    bubba im with SW you ring them up and make yourself heard ..this is awful ..good luck with it and let us know how you get on x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Six-weekly? Why? :? Of course things can change at short-notice with us and our conditions but that does seem extreme. At three-monthly intervals I see the consultant (or registrar) followed by a nurse, followed by the consultant or registrar, followed by the nurse. That's the theory but in reality I see my consultant once a year (which is enough) and the nurses twice; there is a great gap in the NHS called 'demand' which (it seems to me) consultants have yet to understand. If this app. was with the consultant then OK but, if you think you need to see a nurse then contact the department and set it up; that should be possible. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Six-weekly? Why? :? Of course things can change at short-notice with us and our conditions but that does seem extreme. At three-monthly intervals I see the consultant (or registrar) followed by a nurse, followed by the consultant or registrar, followed by the nurse. That's the theory but in reality I see my consultant once a year (which is enough) and the nurses twice; there is a great gap in the NHS called 'demand' which (it seems to me) consultants have yet to understand. If this app. was with the consultant then OK but, if you think you need to see a nurse then contact the department and set it up; that should be possible. DD

I have had quite a lot of appointments for 6 weeks time etc, some have even been as short as 2 weeks time while on steroids.

Bubbadog I would ring your help line and they should be able to sort that for you without any hassle. I have had that happen to me before and was told that the new appointment sent out is just automatically given with the earliest free slot that was on the system.

Most consultants will over ride the system and book you into a clinic for 6 weeks time even if it's full (someone else will get their appointment moved)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I like your last sentence - I wonder if Bubba is the one who has to move ion order to fit in someone else? That's nowt more than medical dominoes. :( DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    DD I'm not sure why I have 6 weekly appoints the way they do it every 12 weeks see Consultant and the nurse every 6 weeks. She is great my nurse she gave me both hospital numbers she works at so I can get in touch with her whenever I need to. So going to call her today to see what she can do.