THR Operation Update

Options
Sarah01
Sarah01 Member Posts: 192
edited 27. Jan 2014, 05:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

Well I had the THR and the surgeon said everything went well. I was awake for the surgery and at the end the surgeon showed me the damage to my arthritic hip. Was in for 5 days as I had low blood pressure and it was 2 days until they could get me out of bed. I have to admit I am still coming to terms with my new joint.

It's now 8 days since the operation and I still cannot fully weight bear on my operated leg. I also didn't expect to still be in a lot of pain but it's manageable with the paracetamol and morphine. Still doing the exercises and my dressings get taken off in 3 days :)

On a plus side, hubby is coming home on 2 weeks leave so I will have another pair of hands to help the boys :D

Sarah x

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Sarah
    I am so glad the THR went well for you, I was given and epidural but also had sedation so was asleep but soon came round.
    Dont go worrying about weight bearing its takes 6 weeks for the bone to start growing round the new hip...so you stick to all the does and dont and you will be fine..
    I am 6 months post op now but still on crutches because my other hip want replacing..and I have a poorly back..small steps has they say..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    There are often a few teething troubles, Sarah. After my knee revision my BP sank a bit. I had a go at walking next day then conked out unceremoniously on the commode :lol:

You will be in pain for some time. Remember what has been done. They've sawn bits off and stuck other bits on. Long after your leg seems healed on the surface the healing process is continuing inside. Don't be impatient. Rest, elevate and exercise. Leave the other stuff to other people. For some time yet.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Sarah
    Glad your THR went well....I had a spinal block for my first one.....2nd one due next fri :?
    You stick to that 90 degree rule and you'll get there.
    Glad your husband will be home soon

Love
    Hileena
  • Sarah01
    Options
    Hi Barbara

Thanks for your reply :)

Each day I'm doing my exercises and trying to get around on the crutches as much as possible. Had some good days, but a bad day today. In a lot of pain and finding it difficult to stand, sit comfortably and do my exercises.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day :D

Hope your back is feeling better

Sarah x
  • Sarah01
    Options
    Hi Stickywicket,

Thanks for the advice. I'm following the post op exercises and do's and don'ts to the letter. I start to feel like I'm progressing then I get a bad day and I just go to pot. I'm glad I have such supportive family, friends and neighbours who are helping me.

Sarah x
  • Sarah01
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

Thanks for your reply :)

Good luck for next Friday, hope it all goes well :) I see the surgeon in a few weeks and I know that he will want to discuss the other hip as well as my follow up. I think I will be leaving that one for a while. My goal is to get this one 100% better before I think about the other thr.

Hubby is home in 2 days so looking forward to seeing him :D

Sarah x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    There'll always be bad days, Sarah. The trick is to stay positive, assume it's only a day then start again next day. I distinctly remember saying one day after my knee revision that I just wasn't going to do any exercises that day. Next day I felt ready for the off again. Keep moving forwards. You'll get there :D
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I echo SW there will be bad days but it will be only one and then you'll be fine the next day....stay positive

Love
    Hileena
  • Sarah01
    Options
    Hi SW and Hileena,

Thanks for the tips. I was mostly down yesterday because I could not do anything plus I ended up with a couple of pressure sores whilst I was in hospital which had burst yesterday and caused me some pain. The district nurse came round to re-dress them and today I am feeling better and more positive. I have managed to walk a few extra steps which is great :D

Sarah x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Well done! I think an accumulation of little things eg the sores can really get us down at times and post-op is just the sort :D of time when they do. Keeep plugging away
    Steven Wright
  • Sarah01
    Options
    Thanks SW :D

I went to the surgery today to get my stitches removed. It has healed nicely. The car park is a 5 minute walk away. It took me 20 mins to walk it on the crutches. I did it and although I was in some pain I felt positive with what I had achieved :D

Sarah x
  • sheenakt
    sheenakt Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

I am over 2 years post op and I can remember thinking at the same stage that I wasn't making any progress but believe me you will be. I never had crutches, only sticks and I was still using 1 stick at my 6 week assessment. It probably took me best part of a year to really get my fitness levels back although my consultant had me up walking the very next morning after my THR. It can still be healing over the period of a year so take your time, apparently your new hip will tell you if you are over doing things .Hope this helps, love Sheena x
  • Sarah01
    Options
    Hi Sheena

Thanks for your post. I'm taking it one day at a time. I'm focusing on my exercises and I am walking to the end of the street and back a few times a day. I have both good and bad days. Reading everyone's posts on here helps and I am determined to stay positive :D

Sarah x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

you will be in pain at first - you have been cut open and the surgeon has done a lot of tugging and jiggling etc inside your hip! However, this will rapidly improve and the deep bone pain is gone. The first fortnight is the worst. Take your meds, elevate your leg loads to ease the swelling and keep up with the exercises and walking practise.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Hi Sarah, I think you and I had surgery on the same day (11/1/14)
    I had my right knee replaced and although a bit older than you, am relatively young in terms of needing a new knee, 53. I think I am doing fairly well and the knee's not swelling as much at the end of the day, so am getting the level of activity about right. I have no pain, which is terrific, getting settled in bed takes a while, but I feel in a sort of recovery limbo. Are you planning on returning to work? I am, but it feels a long way off still!
  • Sarah01
    Options
    Hi Speedy,

Thank you for your post. I'm now on week 3 and starting to see improvements. Had a bit of a setback though, hubby ordered a brand new bed, higher and more comfortable for me. Delivery was confirmed for Friday and hubby dismantled the old bed. Unfortunately it never arrived and hubby had to make the sofa into a bed for me. We've had confirmation it will be delivered today so here's hoping :)

I'm also off the pain meds, haven't taken any for a couple of days and as yet have not needed any, which is great. I managed a couple of steps with just one crutch as well, still using 2 at the moment but I want to try and manage an extra few each day on the one crutch.

Sarah x
  • Sarah01
    Options
    Hi Fionabee,

Thanks for your post. Yes I had my THR on 11.01.14

Glad to hear you are doing well. I am starting to feel better than I was which is a great boost. Like you I am young at the ripe old age of 42 to have a THR. They intend to replace the other hip sometime in the next 12 months.

It's great that you are pain free, I have twinges now and then and my hip and knee are still swollen, but I am carrying on with my exercises and daily short walks.

I do intend to return to work, but like you I feel that will be a while.

Sarah x