Methotrexate

Options
techiedeb
techiedeb Member Posts: 11
edited 19. Jan 2014, 17:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
is there anyone who is having mouth ulcers and toothache while on this drug? I have gone from 20mg to 22.5 per week and am having very painful mouth ulcers but now getting a lot of toothache. As it is in different parts of my mouth I am wondering if it is related to the drug.

Any info would be appreciated as I also feel constantly tired and getting headaches with sharp pains too.

Debbie

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Mouth ulcers are a common side effect (people on here have had them) but the toothache? I don't know about that (because I am not a doc) but my immediate thought was this; is it possible that you have an infection somewhere? I believe that gum troubles can occur with higher doses of meth. Being constantly tired is part-and-parcel of active disease plus tiredness is a well-known meth side-effect. I had horrible headaches when on leflunomide and you mention shooting pains - are these part of the headaches or in your joints? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Debbie
    Sorry I cant offer any help but just want to add my support and hope your mouth clears up very soon..they can be so blinking painful..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    As DD says, mouth ulcers are a common side-effect of meth. I've not heard of toothache being a problem though. Maybe you should contact your rheumatology helpline.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • techiedeb
    techiedeb Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks guys that's really helpful to know. The shooting pains are in my head, they've been really painful. I will go to the dentist this week for my toothache.
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    what level folic acid they giving you , one of the main reasons for taking it is because of mouth ulcers , it varies accros the country what level the consultants give out , mostly from one to six 5mg tabs per week , increasing folic acid will help it