Just started with Hydroxychloroquine

Options
anne49
anne49 Member Posts: 39
edited 27. Jan 2014, 04:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have just been prescribed hydroxychloroquine. I have only taken four tablets so far, but I am getting stomach pain and feeling sick. I have also noticed that the tops of my legs feel heavy. Has anyone else had these side effects? Should I contact my rheumy nurse and let them know about them. I am unsure how long to leave it until I tell anyone.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    The first thing that springs to mind is are you taking them with food? If not, try it. It doesn't have to be much. Just a very plain biscuit or piece of fruit might make all the difference to your stomach. I have a very dodgy tum but have never had problems with hydroxy. As for the 'heavy legs' - no, I can't say I've ever experienced that with anything.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • anne49
    Options
    Hi Stickywicket

Thank you for your reply. Yes I do take them after breakfast with a glass of milk, and again after tea. I have tried taking them halfway through my meal and at the end, but still get a queasy feeling and stomach pains. I too have a funny tummy as I also suffer from IBS.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    You certainly sound to be taking the right precautions with food. It might be worth having a word with your GP. A stomach protecting med eg lansoprazole or omeprazole might help. I already take it as my dodgy tum is my stomach itself not my bowel. If the GP can't help I guess you'll have to sort it out with your consultant.
    Steven Wright
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Options
    I used to get a slightly sicky feeling after taking Hydroxy and I do still sometimes but it isn't anything I would stop it for and it has lessened over time. I was on Methotrexate when I first started it and thought it was probably a combination of the two for me as I was suffered from severe nausea on the MTX. Some of these drugs just give side effects for a few weeks and then you adjust to them - that's how it is for me with Hydroxy. I too have a very sensitive gut and use Ranitidine/ Omaprazole sometims when things get a bit iffy. Hopefully it will settle down for you too. Mat
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    When I 1st started the Hydroxychloroquine I was sick, I put it down to a side effect from starting the drug. The pamphlet I was given with information about Hydro listed near enough a page of possible side effects! I never got the heavy legs. My advice call your Rhumatology Nurse.
  • anne49
    Options
    Hi All

Thank you so much for all your advice, I called my rheumy nurse today and she has advised me to drop it to one tablet a day, for the next two weeks and then try upping it back to two a day. She said if I get the side effects again once I have upped it then she will see me in clinic. I am all new to this as I only had OA in my knee, and have since developed a low grade inflammatory arthritis, hence my tablets.

Once again thank you very much :D
  • bubbadog
    Options
    She did give you a high dose of Hydro to start with, I was on one tablet 2x a day and non at weekends to start with and then after a few months when I was still having high inflammatory markers and pain they upped it to 2 tablets 2x a day everyday. Hope everything settles down for you.
  • anne49
    Options
    Hi bubbadog

Yes she did give me a high dose of Hydro as it takes such a long time to work. I had been given a Depomedrone injection before Christmas but it only worked for about a week. She did say something about looking at adding in Methotrexate at some point. Since I have been taking one a day of Hydro most of the side effects have dyed down. The only thing is I have more pain now than ever :lol: Oh well perseverance I suppose. Thanks for your support.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    No need to thank me this is what we do on this forum! It does take a while to get the right doses and meds to suit your pain! It's all about trial and error I'm afraid. :?
  • stickywicket
    Options
    According to my rheumatologist 2 hydroxy daily is the normal starting dose. It's then usually dropped to one after 6 months. I was on 2 for about 6 years :shock: as my previous rheumatologist forgot to tell me to drop one.

I take mine with 15 mgs methotrexate a week and it's been a great combo for me. I hope yours will be sorted soon, Anne.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I've been taking 2 hydroxy a day for 7 years but have never been told to reduce it- I take it in combination with sulfasalazine and methotrexate- and it's adding in the meth that has had the most dramatic results for me. I have to admit that sometimes I wonder what effect it would have if I took out one of the layers, but I haven't the courage to upset the apple cart yet :shock: .

Deb x
  • Mormodook
    Mormodook Member Posts: 130
    Options
    I take the hydrochloroquine too with methotrexate . I've been on 2 tablets a day since about October . I'm now beginning to get crampy colic type pains and quite windy :oops: ! :shock: I take it with food but I do have fizzy drinks during the day ( but not at the same time ) and I'm wondering if that isn't a good mix ! Oh the joys ! I've not had the actual feeling sick or heavy legs though .
    Good luck getting the correct balance :D
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Deb - it might be worth asking a your next visit. I do understand the 'don't rock the boat' feeling but my previous rheumatologist had just forgotten, I think.

Mormodook - it could be the hydroxy but I'd personally try cutting out the fizzy stuff first as it serves no useful purpose and isn't good for the bones anyway.
    Steven Wright