Groin Pain

Options
paulch
paulch Member Posts: 103
edited 30. Jan 2014, 09:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI .For last 6 months i been getting Groin pain mostly at night and sometimes hip pain at rest, i thought it was due to some meds i have to take for Atrial fibrillation, while at docs for AT i mentioned groin pain and on inspection said this is your hip that is going it did hurt a lot, he has refered me , but AT has to be treated first , i do have ot in my fingers. :?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I can't help with the atrial fibrillation but I do recognise the groin pain and, yes, for my money it's your hip. Sorry, Paul. I hope they can help you one way or another.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I empathise. My right hip succumbed to OA in January 2013, a year on my left is doing the same. At least I've run out of hips. :wink: It's not easy to live with along with everything else, is it? I dreaded my hips falling under the diseased spell of arthritis but they have. I find a hot water bottle a comfort, plus sleeping on the side of the 'hurty' hip. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Yes the groin pain is familiar...I hope they can get the AF sorted then they can concentrate in that hip..please let us know how you get on..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,936
    Options
    Hello Paulch
    I have groin pain I have had it looked at its a broken bone in my groin. I have osteoporosis.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • paulch
    paulch Member Posts: 103
    Options
    :shock: Thanks for replies confirms what it is, but i have been in hospital blue light job with severe AF and irregular heart beats was a close thing cannot thant emergency service enough , home now today rest which will help hips although they have bruising from being moved around in cardiabc resuss room .
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Paul, I'm so sorry. That does put the groin pain into the shade. It must have been scary. I hope you'l soon be recovering. Take care.
    Steven Wright
  • nubia
    nubia Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I am a Newbie here so, please, bear with me.
    In the last six or seven weeks, I have been having pain in my groin. First i thought it was hernia and later noticed that when i put my shoes on and/or walked or about a quarter to half a mile the pain or pains get worse and spread around my right hip and/or groin. I saw my GP who ruled out hernia but suspected that there is something wrong with my hip joints. She sent me for an xray and then recommended a course of physiotherapy. In her note to the physiotherapists she put down "Normal hips, Sclerosis over Right SI joint . Left Spine flexed to left. Early degeneration to lower left spine" I have no pain on my left side. I have no pain when I have no shoes on and have no pain when I am lying down or sitting. Most of my pain results when I walk with my shoes and located mainly around my right groin and my GP thinks that it is a referred pain. Please what is my best cause of action or treatment? I am about to start the physiotherapy session(s) next week.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Hello nubia and welcome to the forum.

I think your GP has recommended your best course of action - physio. Keeping your muscles strong will protect the joints so you should have less pain. With osteoarthritis it is a matter of keeping the muscles as strong as possible and also taking anti-inflammatories or pain relief as needed. Some find that acupuncture can help though not, usually, long term.

Pain is a strange beast. As your GP said, it can be referred ie felt somewhere other than where the true problem lies. This is usually because we alter the way we hold ourselves an walk, often subconsciously.

I do hope the physio will help but please keep talking to us :)
    Steven Wright