Tramadol

Options
dalaney
dalaney Member Posts: 22
edited 20. Jan 2014, 16:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I have recently been prescribed Tramadol to help control my hip pain. I only take them at night as they make me feel a little sleepy. They do however work and have been the only thing that gives me any kind of relief. my question is can you continue to take these pills or are they for short term relief only ?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think this is a matter for you and your GP. Virtually all pain meds are addictive in one way or another. If nothing else, we get addicted to reduced levels of pain :lol: I've always found, with any strong pain relief, that I need to take more and more in order to keep up the level of relief. That seems crazy to me. I'd rather put up with the pain. I dislike trammies as they mess up my stomach but many swear by them. It's a personal choice.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I'm one of the peeps that swear by them. I think if you take a low dose 50-100mg you are able to use them intermittently. You should not take anything more than 100mg when you are not used to this drug!!

You need to be on 100mgs for a week or two before moving up to 200mg, for example. This is how I was taught to use this drug, anyway. I have been taking it daily for 3 years and can reduce dosages easily, so addiction doesn't seem to be an issue for me. Like Sticky says, I am addicted to lower levels of pain. It works pretty well for me but I do not like how I feel when I've taken more than I need to. They are very expensive so that's incentive also to take minimal amounts. I don't aim for pain-free because that doesn't exist for me anymore.

Best wishes.
  • dalaney
    Options
    Thank you I only take them at night when the pain is bad so I can get some sleep i take 2 x 50mg but not every night. I never take them during the day as I have to work and they make me feel a little sleepy
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    dalaney wrote:
    Thank you I only take them at night when the pain is bad so I can get some sleep i take 2 x 50mg but not every night. I never take them during the day as I have to work and they make me feel a little sleepy

I'm glad to hear that tramadol works good for you.

It will be up to your doctor as to how long he/she is willing to prescribe it for. I dont see why they would take it away if its working for you, I have had it prescribed to me for the last 7+ years.

One thing I will mention is that eventually you become used to the drug and it won't be as effective if its being used on a regular basis. A short break from the drug usually makes this go away and is why most of us here keep the stronger pain killers as a back up for the really bad days. It might be worth talking to your doctor about this and see if there is something else you can take on the days where you don't feel so bad.
  • grandadpaul
    grandadpaul Member Posts: 33
    Options
    As i mentioned on another post.
    I have just started taking them.
    Have been on them for only a month, but to be honest they do not feel any better than cocodimol.
    hope yours do the trick
    Paul
  • dalaney
    Options
    Thanks all they really do work for me. Obviously they dont take the pain away completely but they really do take about 80% of it away. the downside is they make me feel fuzzy so I cant take them during the day but at least they are good for night time so I can at least get to sleep. i am a busy social worker and need to be alert during the day so if I can get some sleep I can usually get through the day (although lately the pain has been so much worse) and then when I get home I can take the tramadol. I dont know if the doctor will keep prescribing I rang today and the receptionist said it was not on repeat but she would speak with the doctor I have not heard back so will find out when I pick my meds up tomorrow.