Wishing I had the flu shot!

Options
As5567
As5567 Member Posts: 665
edited 22. Jan 2014, 10:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
I never got round to having my flu shot after coming down with sickness both times I was due to have it, then going away on holiday it just went to the back of my mind.

Now the flu has began to take down each family member in my house one by one this weekend! I really hope that I don't get infected and am literally kicking myself about not getting the jab. Oh well lessons are always learnt eventually.

For the time being I'm locking myself in my bedroom and taking extra caution to minimize my risk of catching flu.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It may be too late but go and get one now - I think they are still available. I hope your family don't have 'flu, just heavy colds, but either way it's not good for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh its horrible when the family has flu and you wait to see if you are next..I do hope it avoids you ...my hubby was refusing to have it but I managed to get him there...
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I think the flu jab can take 2-3 weeks to work and same again to be fully effective. With that in mind, I don't think I'd want to get it if everyone around me had flu in case I was already harbouring it. Mind you the definition of 'flu' does vary widely. Many do just have bad colds and there's no jab for them.

Ever since I got out of bed for 10 minutes to toast the millennium in with gaviscon, owing to gastric flu, I've remembered how nasty it is. I'm now first in line for my flu jabs in the hope of getting them before I start harbouring a cold or any other nasties.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I had it a few weeks before Christmas, it really does flatten you and knocks the stuffing out of you. I really hope it's just a nasty cold the rest of your family have and not the flu virus! If you go and get your flu jab make sure you take precautions when you go to your Doctor's Surgery (If that's where you have to go to get it!) you never know what nasties you could pick up going there!!! :shock:
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    So far I'm symptom free. My mother and brother 100% have flu, they have been in bed for the last couple of days and both feel awful.

Luckily I have been very busy at university the last few days so I haven't really been home. Now it's just a waiting game praying I'm not next.