BLOOD TESTS

Options
ELAINE55555
ELAINE55555 Member Posts: 123
edited 21. Jan 2014, 04:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,
My doctors surgery have now intoduced a 20 minute consultation with the practice nurse when the blood results come in. I think this is a brilliant idea. I will now get some feedback on results, and any issues I have will be dealt with or chased up to rheumatology. Do any other surgeries offer this service?

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Mine certainly doesn't. I think that is a great idea and you can get through quite a lot in twenty minutes..............Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    No, and personally I hope it won't happen. Over the years I have received a number of recalls to the GPs surgery to repeat blood tests which in rheumatology terms were perfectly OK. Rheumatology will contact me in case of need and of course I respond with some alacrity (including an emergency set of tests when I was on holiday). In my experience GPs mean well but don't know enough about my circumstances - after all they don't prescribe the meds. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    I have my bloods taken at the hospital ; my doctors surgery hardly ever manage to get any blood out of me , whereas the hospital vampires are more experienced and have more success . My GP takes care of my blood pressure and any other health problems but anything arthritis related is dealt with by my consultant .
    Jillyb
  • grandadpaul
    grandadpaul Member Posts: 33
    Options
    jillyb1 wrote:
    I have my bloods taken at the hospital ; my doctors surgery hardly ever manage to get any blood out of me , whereas the hospital vampires are more experienced and have more success . My GP takes care of my blood pressure and any other health problems but anything arthritis related is dealt with by my consultant .
    Jillyb

As above. i work near to the hospital and if i time it right can be in and out in 10mins, so better for me. (worked it out that 11am is the busy time there).
    Also i am a chicken, they know me well now and talk to me about their/my garden etc to take my mind of it. :oops:
    The doctor has rang me up a few times but still the same old thing.."blood test show high inflamorory markings and Oh cut down on Diclofenac!"
    What can you do!!

But yes would like to know more and the 20mins sitting down would help.
    I just give blood, but do not know what any of the results mean.

Paul
  • ELAINE55555
    ELAINE55555 Member Posts: 123
    Options
    I agree Paul. I have no idea what the blood results mean, so 20 minutes is better than none. I will also now get my collestral checked regularly, as there is now evidence which shows that people with RA are more prone to strokes and heart attacks. A wee bit extra attention can only be a good thing.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If you are on methotrexate etc. then you should have a booklet in which the results are recorded. There is an explanation at the back of the booklet explaining what the tests mean and what are tolerable levels of whatever but the only one that bothers me is my ALT because of my experience of Enbrel. (That's the liver function one.) Because of forthcoming changes in my hospital services I won't have the booklet made up any more but they will contact me in case of need. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    No my surgery doesn't do this, but what a good idea
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I'm glad I get a phone Consultation with my G.P to get blood results as a couple of times the nurse has given me the wrong results! I would rather hear my results from my G.P.