Recent Rheumy appointment

Options
emsjane
emsjane Member Posts: 351
edited 21. Jan 2014, 09:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

I saw my Rheumy last week and she said the experts in the Rheumy Dept had had a consultation about me and and have decided I definitely have Seronegitive Inflammatory Arthritis ( not news to me!) and she then went on to say that I wouldn't be eligible for a hip op because I'm just going to continue to get worse. I'm not sure what she meant by this and didn't think too much about it at the time as I'm not ready for one yet anyway. Too scared in case it goes wrong at only 44 years old! But now I think about it I think that should it get unbearable to walk with my hips I'd like the option of a hip replacement!!! So, I'm just wondering if anyone else has been told the same by their Rheumy? I'm seeing the Rheumy nurse in 3/4 months who is lovely so I will ask her too

Also, just as an aside, I was a little upset with my best friend the other day, who I thought really understood about my arthritis, when I mentioned I miss work and would like to find something easy, 3 mornings a week and she suggested I went back into being a teaching assistant in primary at 3 hours every day. I found it extremely hard doing that job with my lack of mobility and pain and she knows that. She is also a TA. So I then had to explain to her all the things I'd find difficult to do when I'd thought she knew this! And I still felt she wasn't convinced in the end. It just goes to show people who don't have Arthur really don't get it, even your best friend!!!! :(

I hope everyone is coping with life ok at the moment? Xxx
LOVE EMMA X

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    So, they've confirmed what you knew (what a relief :wink: ) but you seem to be no further forward. What are they suggesting meds-wise?

As far as I understand these things replacement joints are not offered until things are truly rough - we may feel that they already are but the ortho surgeons have a different set of standards when it comes to 'rough'. Rheumatology bods are not orthopaedic bods so to my mind won't know that much about which they speak. My rheumatology nurse referred me to orthopaedics in 2011 about having new knees but the surgeon cheerfully informed me that I was three years too young and three stone too fat. Time has sorted the former but not the latter mainly because more has gone wrong with my other joints during the wait. Hey-ho. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello emsjane
    At least you have a name now...not much helpbut you know what you are up against..the hip thing is so debatable..I am 65 and just had one hip replaced but there was a a couple of young people having them , one was 38..but they dont like doing them ..because having a second one can be mush harder, so at the end of the day it is can you carry on like you are
    Has for your friend ..it cant be easy to understand the pain someone else is in..so I would worry about it..not if you had your leg in plaster..it is something they can see..
    I do wish you well for the future..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • emsjane
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies.

DD - Yes I would have the same problem with my weight although it would probably be more like 4 stone I'd have to lose!! Depressing!

Barbara - I have thought it would be better to hang on with my hip for as Long as I can especially now that my feet hurt too and my lower back! So just replacing my hip isn't going to be a magical cure all anyway!

It is nice to have a confirmed diagnosis now as I think for years I was just brushed aside as having just OA. I could never understand why so many joints were involved especially as I didn't test positive for RA. So at least now I know.

Have a good day everyone! The weather in SW London today is lovely :)
    LOVE EMMA X
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello again
    I find this very interesting..its 4 years since I saw a rheumy and he thought OA...but like you I have so many joints effected..so you now have me thinking...
    Just a point your hip being painful can really effect your back..and visa versa....good luck with everything..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • emsjane
    Options
    Hi Barbara, you're probably like me, I'd get it checked out if I were you!

I had an MRI on my back and I have thinning discs in the lower lumber area. I asked Rheumy if it was my weight causing that it the arthritis and she said a bit of both!

I have lots of tendon/ligament/muscle pain nowadays too. My showers are often painful and I have arthritis in my neck so lots of pain in that area!

My mum is taking me to her David Lloyd centre next week so I'm going to enjoy the spa/sauna/steam room :)
    LOVE EMMA X