TMJD

Options
villier
villier Member Posts: 4,426
edited 29. Jan 2014, 00:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am looking for advice, I have only been given a leaflet about TMJD and told to eat soft foods and suppress yawns at the moment. I have to get an mri scan soon and a guard made, I don't know yet whether it is Arthritis that is causing the problems with my jaw. When I open my mouth it sounds as if there is muscle tearing and my jaw clicks alternatively on either side sometimes locking when opened.

I would be interested on anyone's views and any tips anyone can give me, fortunately ibuprofen is helping with the pain at the moment.........Marie xx
Smile a while and while you smile
smile another smile and soon there
will be miles and miles of smiles
just because you smiled I wish your
day is full of Smiles

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    (((((((()))))))) I had it for a short time once and it is no fun. It's also hard to suppress yawns and to always remember what to do. Heat pack when it really hurts? I will try and think of other things but the soft food and trying to avoid opening your mouth wide were the biggies. I really hope it settles down, I had it acutely for about a month and then it settled and never returned xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I confess I have a gap in my less-than-extensive-knowledge about stuff. What is TMJD? I gather it's summat to do with the jaw and ergo must be utterly miserable. I am sorry though and I hope that those with more info will be along soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Marie not another thing to add to the list,I am sorry I dont know anything about it..I know we did have one lady that was having probs with her jaw and was seeing her dentist..I will go and do a search for you...wish I could help more..((((())))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Lubs
    Lubs Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Hi Marie,

My GP diagnosed me with TMJ I couldn't open the jaw wide enough to eat, it would take at least three attempts to do so. I also get the clicking sound on both sides, it is difficult to suppress a yawn.

I did tell my consultant about it last week but he wasn't too concerned about it, as the pain comes and goes. I do suffer from a lot of tooth pain on the left side where it originally started.

Let me know how your MRI goes! Take care ()
    Lubs
  • villier
    Options
    Thanks LV for the tip and lovely to see you, I have had the clicking jaw for quite a few years now as I felt it wasn't broken I didn't think it need fixed until recently, it was my dentist that referred me to the dental hospital. I go back in a few weeks will see what they say then, some of these for you and the girls ((((())))) xx

DD..............it is tempromandiular joint disorder AKA the jaw bone and can attack muscles and cartilage throughout the head face and neck, as my Arthritis has been raging over the past year they are not sure if it's that what is causing the problems, hey ho, we will see once I get the mri done :roll: xx

Thank you very much Barbara, och it is just another one of life's trials and tribulations, there is not much you can do about it, except get on wi' it :wink: xx

Thanks Lubs, as you can see it was my dentist that referred me and because I get headaches and crunching and grinding in my neck as well that is why they want the mri done. it never rains but it pours eh :lol: xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's what?????? :shock: Ye gods girl, that sounds utterly horrid. :( I have just tried to suppress a yawn by clamping my teeth together - it's far from right and I don't feel as though I have yawned. Bother. I wish I could think of summat uplifting to say but nothing springs to what passes for my mind. Have these instead. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi Marie,

It's quite common in people with fibromyalgia, I don't know why, it's just another crossover condition :?

I think the advice uve been given is about all there is unfortunately, sorry!!

I have PsA, my dentist suspects, in my jaw. The clicking/crunching is awful but thankfully not too painful as yet. She's ready to refer me the minute I ask, she is brill thankfully.

I hope ure given answers soon.

((((Hugs))))

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Marie
    You might have done it by now, but if you type Jaw pain in the search next to messaged and not the other one there are quite a few post turn up..one thing I did pick up on is it can come and go...so I hope yours goes way and stay away..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    Options
    DD................it probably sounds worse than it is, the pain is sufferable with Nsaids I think the worse for me is the locking of the jaw which can take a wee while to get it unlocked, just think if I had an OH he would probably be delighted for the peace and quiet :lol:

Oh goodness Debbie as if you haven't got enough going on, pet lets hope your dentists wrong and it is not PsA in your jaw. Would you maybe be better to get it checked out sooner rather than later :wink:

Thanks Barbara, I hadn't thought of using the search engine, I have done now and the posts are encourageing :D
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Sounds nasty, Marie, and I'm starting to feel I've been lucky. My jaw is musical :wink: and my mouth doesn't open very much (Oh no it doesn't, Mr SW :lol: ) so full marks to my dentist who manages to get in there and do stuff. However, I never have had much pain there. I do hope you can get something helpful done with yours.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    Options
    Hi Marie,

I've just popped in to browse and spotted your post.

I've had TMJ a for few years but fortunately it isn't giving me a problem now. About 12 years ago I had some awful dentistry it was so bad that my bite was altered giving me severe headaches and face pain. I had to wear a specially made mouth guard day and night for a few months. I was prescribed Dosulepin to take at night these are anti depressants but also act as muscle relaxants and stopped me grinding my teeth.

I now have dentures made which have to be specially made to hold my jaw n the right position. My bottom teeth were built up with veneers.

I don't know if my story is of any help to you but I think it well worth asking about the Dosulepin as it was a great help, I have only just come off them.

I do feel for you Marie it is very painful, I hope you get sorted soon.

Trish x
  • villier
    Options
    Oh Sticky :lol: well done to your dentist it is quite a feat to do work in a partially opened mouth, I used to be a dental nurse many moons ago. xx

Thanks Trish that is very reassuring, I have to get a mouth guard made, I am back at the dental hospital in a few weeks and will ask about the doselpin as I don't grind but I clench. xx
    day is full of Smiles