Reactive Arthritis

Options
DaisyG
DaisyG Member Posts: 2
edited 22. Jan 2014, 15:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone

I'm new to this forum and really hoping that I can get some information.

At the end of November, after a campylobacter infection I was diagnosed with reactive arthritis and prescribed naproxen and eventually over Christmas a course of steroids, I was in despair, I'm a very active 53 year old woman, going to the gym and swimming 5 times per week, plus trying to run 3 times per week, cycling at weekends, walking my dogs etc.

I went from this to not being able to walk as my feet were so painful. At the beginning of January after completing the course of steroids there seemed to be no change, but suddenly the pain eased and I found that I could walk, bending my feet in the normal way. I thought that I was one of the lucky ones and this was it.

However last week I felt really tired and Monday I felt feverish and generally off it and last night when I couldn't sleep it occurred to me that this may be connected ( years ago I had a puppy who had a nasty form of arthritis that started with fever). So, far I have not experienced any joint pains - only the ones that I'm used to, but I'm wondering if this is the start of a flare.

If there is anyone out there who has any experience of this I would be really grateful to hear from them.

I suppose the obvious thing is to go back to my doctors, but getting to see anyone, least of all one of the three different people I've already seen, is like getting blood out of a stone.

I'm very down about this - please help

DaisyG

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello DaisyG. I can't really empathise on the 'fit and active' front as I've had RA for over 50 years :lol: but I have a 70 yr old husband, who still regards himself as a young athlete, who currently has a Bakers' Cyst and is finding the enforced lay-off from golf very tough indeed.

ReA is an odd beast. We don't get many with it on here but Arthritis Care do have a leaflet on it if you go to 'Publications and Resources' at the top of the page.

Alas, none of us are medics so can't tell you whether or not your current problems are the ReA again or something else. There is, however, a slim chance that ReA can recur or even morph into RA so I do think you need to see one of your docs about this and maybe ask for referral to a rheumatologist to get it checked out. Meanwhile, takes notes of any pain and maybe photo any swellings or redness. I hope this is minor but better to be thorough and make sure.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi DaisyG,

I'm sorry I've nothing to add to s/w's sage advice, but I just wanted to say I hope you're able to get some answers soon. Please persevere with the doctors – I know it's very frustrating at times, but it's worse to feel unsure about what's going on.

And welcome to the forum! :)
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)