Dropped a box on my inflamed toe ! Ouch !

Options
Mormodook
Mormodook Member Posts: 130
edited 24. Jan 2014, 07:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
I stupidly dropped a big (empty) storage box on my already inflamed big toe today and the corner edge got me right on the joint !Ouch ! I'm waiting on getting a steroid jag in it so it's quite sore.
Can an injury like that actually make a joint flare up worse and seem worse than it actually is? Or do people like us miss general injuries and put it down to our particular conditions ? I'm such a muppet ! :o

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I reckon that an inflamed anything won't react well to extra stresses being inflicted upon them, be a toe, a wrist, a knee or a tooth. Once you've had the steroid (and they should still do it) please rest that joint for at least 24 hours to give the stuff the best chance to sink in and work. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    As I would see it you dropped something on a sore toe so it's now doubly sore. I don't think it would make the arthritis worse but it certainly wouldn't help. Look after it well, mormodook, and, if you've any doubts, get it checked out. If the skin's broken they might not do the steroid jab.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Mormodook
    Mormodook Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Thanks stickywicket & DD ! The toe is slightly happier today ! Back to its normal very sore as opposed to ahhhhhhh ! No broken skin and not even a bruise in sight ! I'm still waiting for physio to call me about the jag anyway ! Only I would drop something on my worst joint ! :o
    Hope you are both well :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I'm glad there seems to be no big damage done. Beware of boxes :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Glad your toe didn't get any angrier!! And nothing drastic had to happen, in future get some else to carry the box!! :roll:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh that made me cringe.. :shock: ..so I can only imagine how painful it is for you...the big toe has so many nerve in ..that is why it gets so painful..I do hope the jab works for you xx...
    Love
    Barbara