Things I wish they had told me

Options
BruceT
BruceT Member Posts: 4
edited 24. Jan 2014, 07:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
In 2007 I was 39 and told I would need hip replacements within 10 years. 7 Years on my OA is hardly an impediment at all. Here is a list of things I wish I had known 7 years ago. Please note this is a highly personal list , and has no medical evidence behind it

1 Excerise . I am lucky in that my daily commute gets me on a bicycle every day. I am convinced i would be in a worse place without it

2 You can't make it worse. OA will progress at its own pace. Live according to your pain threshhold, dont worry about what long term damage you are doing , because you are not doing any

3 Pilates. Wish I had done it 10 years ago. Yoga I am sure is just as good

4 Dont define yourself by your limitations. I gave up running the day I was diagnosed and missed it terribly for 4 years. It felt ( as other people have described on this site ) like a mourning process for my past life. 2 weeks ago i purchased some running shoes. It might leave me in a bit of discomfort but I am going to give it another go

5 Glucosomine does nothing - a personal opinion and i do not denigrate the view of those who have found it helpful . (I am currently taking cod liver oil, so I am still hopeful of finding relief in a bottle of pills) :)

6 Lose weight. I am still at my pre arthritis weight. I have been moderately successful here , but another 5 kg would help a lot!

7 Hold out for as long as possible for a hip operation. Any operation is serious and should be avoided if possible . Medical knowledge increases all the time . If I had had a procedure 4 years ago it would have been metal on metal, and that has caused some horrific problems for some recipients of this treatment

8 Sometimes OA ruins my outlook of my future, but in reality it has over the past 7 years never ruined my enjoyment of a single actual day . My negativity is mostly in the mind and not supported by my experiences

That is all I can think of for now. If I was to put one piece of advice above all the others it would be PILATES

I hope others of you can add to this list for the benefit of all new sufferers

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I like your list, BruceT. I also like the way you point out it's a personal one with no medical backing. We all have to forge our own paths and they will be different according to several factors. But, fundamentally, I think there is much that would apply to all of us in your list.

I would caution all my fellow auto-immuners, however, that we can make it worse. Exercise is essential but we should do it very gently and cautiously when flaring. Unlike OAers we can make it hugely worse by not taking our meds. Pain relief is optional. DMARDS and/or anti-tnfs aren't.

Not everyone who had a new hip four years ago had a metal on metal one. There are several different kinds.

I hope you get away with the jogging but it's not recommended for arthritic hips and knees. Cycling and swimming are. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • celebrationb
    celebrationb Member Posts: 134
    Options
    I decided not to give up my hobby of ju jistue just have to change the way am doings things .
    Another thing on the list stay positive and don't let to ruin you life. It may slow you down and you can get bad days/weeks which am having this week..
    If I feel OK I do a little but more at the club to build up slowly the leg. Its going to take ti!me. But at the moment slow down instead.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Bruce
    I love the list, don't forget that speed walking is much better on the joints..than running...and Pilates well what can I say that is brilliant..its the one thing I would do if I could get up and down off the floor..you keep up the good work..
    Love
    Barbara