Light weight vacuum cleaner recommendation

Options
Fionabee
Fionabee Member Posts: 146
edited 13. Jun 2018, 03:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello.
My brilliant but heavy Sebo conked out with a big flash while I was in hospital (son was vacuuming!!!) I'm sure it is repairable but it is so heavy, it feels like the right time to replace. Have a lighter weight Sebo felix for upstairs which is ok, but fiddly to get the most from.
Downstairs is a mixture of carper and wood and we have a golden retriever,so lots of dog hair to contend with.
Any suggestions?
Many thanks.

Comments

• Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'd be interested to hear of any suggestions too (I apologise for highjacking your thread, Fiona, but it just reminded me). We have a Dyson cylinder which is very heavy and a real pain (literally) to take up and down the stairs. At the moment there's nothing wrong with it, but I've been thinking about getting something else that is lighter. We have carpets throughout.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Guys, if you put vacuum cleaners into the search engine for chit-chat there are quite a few posts on peoples views.................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Options
    How odd, the first time I searched for vacuum cleaners, all it found was RON'S JOKES!!! I should have clicked on MORE because the second selection did indeed have what I was looking for, but by then Mr B had been out and bought a Gtech Air Ram! It's a re chargeable one and needs charging, so I'll come back and let you know how we are getting on. Even in its box, it's not too heavy.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    edited 29. Jan 2014, 10:06
    Options
    We've got my mum a small lightweight, rechargeable. one from C***s . A Lipo battery that provides enough charge for the downstairs, she now has one upstairs as well.

I think you have the perfect answer though, let your son do it! We now have a firm coming in and doing the work, at least they can see and always turn up.

[Moderator Edited due to using firms name (advertising) ]
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    We have two vaccums, one for general hoovering but also a small hand held D*s*n which I can use and carry easily. It does only last 15 mins after being charged up but that gives me time to recover from the first lot of hoovering. I find it useful to use for sofas, rugs and stairs.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Vacuuming? What's that?! :lol: When I do infrequently engage in this household task, I'm a Dyson fan. We searched high and low for something lightweight but in fact, it wasn't an easy task! It's tough to find a lightweight one that is manoeuvrable. Whatever you do, don't get a Henry, they're hard work.
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I too, loth vacuuming. I have a tiny hand-held one that I use for disasters, furniture and stairs. I also have a built in one that just requires dragging of the hose around (if I absolutely have to :roll: ). It was a major sale-feature (for me) when we looked at our current house. Gosh, it wears me out though :cry: And, useless for carpets unless you have some form of strength....
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I bought an el cheapo Vax upright from a well-known African river company and have decided to chuck out my two Dysons because it's so good. I was wondering about the GTECH but couldn't fathom how one would do stairs, furniture and lampshades. This little Vax is a wondrous beast, the previous owner of No. 10 had a cat and all traces of said beast are now removed. It has a small capacity and should be emptied after every use (it is frightening what it sucks up from the carpets) but that is hardly a downside. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Good morning
    Glad you have found our forums. Our members are a cheerful, supportive group who can often offer you advice, hints and support.
    If you would give some details about your self and what type of arthritis you have our members would be able to help more.
    I am one of the moderation team and we all have one or more of the Arthritis "hangers on" or care for family with the the same.
    Look forward to hearing more from you.
    Best wishes
    ChrisK
  • BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 202
    Options
    Vacuum cleaners?

I manage really well with a cylinder M-e-e. My friend has the dog and cat model which copes with two labs and a spaniel! And that manufacturer always does well in the Which tables of best buys.
    Good on carpet and hard floors, with the right head.

I got a hand-held D-s-n - but didn’t get on with it because my hand doesn’t like holding the trigger down to make it work.
    I need something with an on/off switch, rather than a trigger.

My steam cleaner needs constant pressure on the trigger to make it work - so I have to delegate that job to my husband. Oh dear, what a shame! :wink:

My ambition - when the price comes down to a sensible level - is to get a R-o-b-. I’ve been told they’re not great in homes where there are pets because they don’t recognise “accidents” and will track them round the whole house!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I see an old thread has been resurrected by a spammer. If anyone is reading this I went cordless and don't regret it for one moment. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben