one year on from THR and still in pain

Options
Adrianw
Adrianw Member Posts: 4
edited 27. Jan 2014, 04:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there. I'm new to the forum. I am 51 and had a THR a year ago. I'm still in considerable intermittent pain despite having had loads of physio. They keep telling me to be patient but have just demanded a second opinion. Has anyone else had this experience. I don't feel I fit in with all the stories of THR success...
Adrian

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Adrian. I'm sorry you're still having so much trouble with the new hip. I can't really be of any help as mine are both very good indeed. If you've done the prescribed physio exercises from the start and not overdone things in other ways then I'd have thought you'd have a good, strong joint by now. A second opinion might well be the best way to go although, unless the new man can see a problem on the x-ray that the original surgeon couldn't, I guess it'll mean more surgery to check it out. Very annoying.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Adrian, what is causing the pain - weak muscles, or a deep bone pain?

Both of mine ache if I over do it, the pain is from tired muscles.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • Adrianw
    Options
    Thanks stickywicket and speedalong. The pain is both in my thigh muscle and deep around my hip it's not there all the time. I was wondering about pushing for an MRI scan to see if there's any soft tissue damage. What do you think?
    Adrian
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hi Adrian,

I'm sorry to hear you are still suffering. I know little about THRs but I think a second opinion is a good idea. One idea that popped to my head, is that if you haven't had one, an MRI would be a good idea. In the mean time, have you had any support with pain management techniques?
  • sheenakt
    sheenakt Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Hi Adrian,

I still had pain at a year post op, I was 56 when I had mine done, and I am fairly active. Looking back now, 2 and a half years later, I think I was probably doing too much but my surgeon told me to walk 2 miles each day, which I did as well as doing a work out at the gym. I do remember him also telling me that if you do too much your "new" hip will let you know.
    apparently soft tissues can still be healing up to 2 years, so although the arthritis pain has gone in a way you've swapped that pain for soft tissue pain. Hope this helps,

Sheena
  • Adrianw
    Options
    Thanks all. I'm also quite active and wonder whether I overdid it early on as I was desperate to get back on my bike (still not quite there). I will ask for an MRI but useful to know it can take quip to two years. Makes me feel less of a freak!

Adrian
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    It sounds to me - though I know nothing about these things except what I've experienced myself and what I've read on here - as if you might have inadvertently delayed the healing process by 'overdoing' things at first. Long after the scar is looking good there's still a lot of soft tissue healing and knitting together going on beneath it. It can be tricky getting the right balance.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright