Options
Deborahp64
Deborahp64 Member Posts: 13
edited 26. Jan 2014, 13:30 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all, this is my first post here so please be gentle. I have had osteoarthritis in my left knee for years, and have managed without too much trouble, for the last few months my right knee has been giving me serious problems, if I sit for too long I have trouble getting up and walking. Went to doc's yesterdsy and am being sent for scans on both knees and also been given narproxen for the pain, I have a question though that she couldn't answer, I also have pains going down my thighs and also my shins and ankles, is this connected to the arthritis? Sorry for the long winded post, thanks in advance
Debb xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Debb. I'll be gentle :D This was my first, and remains my only, forum so I remember how daunting it can seem.

You did the right thing in going to the GP and she did the right thing in sending you for scans. One thing about the naproxen - at the first signs of stomach problems go back and ask for a stomach-protecting pill to go with it. They can upset the stomach and some GPs automatically prescribe both together nowadays.

I've had two knee replacements - well, three actually :lol: - but never had the pain you're referring to down thighs and shins. Ankle pain's a different matter though as I have RA in most joints.

I know I've read some posts on thigh pain. think if you re-post on Living With Arthritis someone who gets it might see your thread and reply. Good luck!

(Long-winded? Nah :D )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Deborahp64
    Deborahp64 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for your reply and will definitely go back if I suffer stomach problems.
    I have been told I am too young for replacements I am 50 in may, she also offered me injections but turned them down, my dad has rheumatoid and osteoarthritis and the injections ruined his shoulder, so will stick to the painkillers for now xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    They do like to wait for replacements. I think this is partly due to cost and partly due to replacements of replacements being a bigger op.I got mine early because I'd had RA since I was 15.

Don't discount the injections completely though they don't work for everyone. I had very good results from them. We hear quite a lot on here about them not working but I don't think I can recall anyone who said they made everything worse. Besides, knees are a less complicated joint than shoulders.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright