Burning tongue

Lubs
Lubs Member Posts: 155
edited 26. Jan 2014, 17:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

This is my first long weekend at home from work and all I have had to deal with is a lot of pain on the tongue! It feels like it has been burnt with hot food/drink. I know I haven't injured myself, this isn't due to me being careless with hot food/drink!

I have had this pain from last Thursday and it is relentless. Especially, when I eat chocolate or any food with the slightest bit of chilli/salt/pepper. I only feel better when I use toothpaste or mints, which doesn't last long.

I have also been falling asleep in the chair, today at 3.30 I found it impossible to stay awake. Even earlier at 2pm I was feeling tired, but thought I should try and get some planning done, none of which is finished. I was falling asleep at the desk. I find that when I'm really exhausted I need to eat more to stay awake, but that's a bit probalmatic at the moment.

I have a Dr's appointment on Tuesday after school, so hopefully if I remember everything they should be able to give me a diagnosis!

Lubs.

Comments

• Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Of course I'm not a doctor but it sounds to me like Burning Mouth Syndrome Lubs. My sister (who is profoundly deaf) has had this for 8 months now and recently saw a rheumy because she told her GP about my RA and he tested her ESR which was raised. The rheumy she saw said he believes it is some kind of fungal condition in her case and isn't caused by anything rheumatic such as Sjogrens - as we thought it might be. She explained that it feels as if she has scalded her mouth with a very hot drink all the time and champs her mouth and looks in pain when she eats or drinks often.

If you look up Burning Mouth Syndrome online you will see that there can be many causes and sometimes it is down to stress/ anxiety - or so my research revealed. Alternatively it can go with Diabetes, Thyroid problems, Sjogrens and other autoimmune disorders. I hope this helps and that your GP has some answers for you. Mat
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • Lubs
    Lubs Member Posts: 155
    Thanks Mat for the information. I looked up BMS and it does sound like I fall into Secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. I have PsA and ASA. I've also been having problems with really dry itchy eyes, which are always blood shot for days at a time.

My mouth is dry so I do try to keep it hydrated by drinking plenty of water and other fluids throughout the day. My rehumatology doctor just sent me for a barium swallow test, because I was finding it really difficult to swallow food and fluids, it feels at times that there is something stuck in the throat. Recently I also find that I am suffering from my jaw clicking on both sides each morning when I wake up and when I have a meal. Today I just felt I couldn't finish my dinner, due to the pain, so I have taken my dose of morphine and got into bed!

:!: hopefully this GP appointment on Tuesday will help. I have started to write everything down as I tend to forget why I go there in the first place.

Also last week when parking I reversed into the wall, then the following day after staying for parents evening (till 7pm) I nearly crashed the car into two others parked there. My job is stressful, but I have learnt to cope with it, especially as others do not see that I have an illness and expect me to do my job!

Thanks
    Lubs :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    As another non-medic, totally unqualified in diagnostics, I'd have gone for oral thrush :lol: Either way, you need to see a proper doc who can properly diagnose and prescribe. If it is thrush anything sugary will make it worse. Get your GP to check it out.

As for falling asleep, I'm afraid that's par for the course but mention it to the doc to be sure your iron levels are OK. I hope you can get some quality rest this week.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright