Are you going back to work after surgery?

Fionabee
Fionabee Member Posts: 146
edited 29. Jan 2014, 17:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there.
Are many of you recovering from surgery and planning to go back to work?
I have recently had my knee replaced.
I work in a library part time, so it's a mixture of, sitting, standing, stairs, carrying piles of books & walking. I managed to work right up to surgery because my work was part- time, but I couldn't have coped full time. If I was especially rough I could do a sitting task, being able to do a bit of this and a bit of that suited me.
My surgeon said I could expect to be off work for 6-8wks and I passed this info on to my manager. She phoned me this morning, in keeping with the council's recently changed sickness procedures I can choose whether to have a visit from her or a phone call!! And I will get another phone call next week, she is obviously expecting me back after 6 wks, right at the moment this scares me to death, I can't imagine being ready for work.........ever! I know I'm being a bit dramatic, but it does feel like a pressure I could do without.

Comments

• Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi;

I think you should not worry. You do not need the stress and pressure when you are recovering from a major surgery. Let your body be the guide; you will have to be cleared for work by a doctor or physio, I think? If you go back to work in heaps of pain then you will only set yourself back, and end up needing more time off. It's very important not to overdo things early on. Surely they can manage without you until you have recovered properly?

I don't have direct experience myself but did help a loved one with THR. Best wishes and try not to worry. It's one day at a time for a lot of us :D

xAnna
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Of course you will get back to work in due course but it sounds as though your employer requires some education about knee replacement surgery and its recovery time. Please ring the AC helpline and ask about any relevant publications you can either download or have sent to you so you can talk them through your immediate needs. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Im with the others..your body will let you know when you are ready...I know there is pressure on you to get back to work...but they will have to wait till you are ready maybe after 8 weeks your knee wont swell has much when you are standing for any length of time...good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Love
    Barbara
  • Michelle63
    Michelle63 Member Posts: 63
    I recently had surgery and work for local government. If you have any concerns you should contact your council occupational health department. They can look at all the factors and discuss with you and your employers the best way to manage your return to work. :lol:
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    I'm a self-employed freelance writer, so I could go back to work at my own pace after my TKR.

Firstly, I found that realising I COULD get back to a normal life was immensely good for me mentally. I needed my normal structure to my life. I managed to do an article for a regular column in a magazine my first week home, and felt really good about it. BUT - and this is a really big but - it took me all week, sitting at my desk for very short periods, then going to lie down, when I usually do them in half a day!

So I agree with everyone else; you have to do this at your own pace, and your body's pace. You WILL get back to work. You will, if all goes well - and there's no reason why it shouldn't - get back to a completely normal life, but without knee pain. But it will take time. I suspect it will take longer than 6 weeks...but maybe not....

I'd say stop worrying for now; it's too soon. Nearer the time you should know what is possible for you, so then is the time to contact the relevant professionals and get a realistic schedule sorted out. But complete recovery from a TKR takes months, so don't worry if you have to learn to say no to people, about work or anything else. They'll cope! :lol:
  • kevsue
    kevsue Member Posts: 45
    I wouldn't worry, surely it's up to your doctor to decide! I have been off work since the beginning of December and have just been given a note for another 2 months. Whilst they thought my OA was my problem, I actually need an op and am having further tests. Whilst my employer, like every company, has a sickness procedure to follow I guess I have been lucky. They have had their pound of flesh from me over the last 32 years!! I am keen to get back to work though and I am looking forward to a visit from my boss this week, at least it's company and I am so bored. Just focus on getting better, that's the important thing
    Sue x
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    As usual good advice!
    I'm actually surprised how few books I've read, DVDs watched, haven't yet done that research online about how to train my dog to not sometimes snatch, during this recovery time.......but it's dawned on me it takes so much longer to do everything at the moment, getting organised, sit down and realise I've not brought my water bottle thru or I can hear the kitchen radio and it's out of sync with the one in the sitting room, then it's time for exercises!
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Ah, that brings back memories. The first couple of weeks after getting home I seemed to do nothing but rest and exercise. I tried to work...then rested. I posted a lot on here...then rested. Then it was time for more exercises....and rest. And so on. Don't worry, it gets easier.