3 wks post TKR - Night time pain

Options
Fionabee
Fionabee Member Posts: 146
edited 5. Feb 2014, 04:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello again
After another poor night I thought I'd seek a bit of advice or reassurance!
Its 3 weeks since my knee replacement and after a week or so of being able to sleep comfortably on my side with a pillow between my knees and ankles, the last 3 nights have been really uncomfortable. I'm not as swollen as I was, swellimg is more on outside aspect of knee, this pain is felt on the inside. If i go onto my back or get up - immediate relief. But i can't slep on back all the time as my back hurts.
At bedtime I take paraceromol, naproxen and 50mg tramadol, last night I upped the tramadol to 100mg, it made no difference at all.
At bedtime I also take gabapentin & slow release tramadol for back/leg pain in the same leg as the new knee, so I have quite a lot of analgesic on board, bit of a concern really, but my back hasn't troubled me in this post op period for which I am so glad.

Comments

• Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh, Fiona, you poor thing. Not much I can say to help really, except to live with it and eventually it will get better. My knees hurt at night for ages as far as I remember. I learned to sleep either on my back or almost on my front with one leg in front of the other. It sort of worked.

I wouldn't worry about how many pills you're taking; I was always told to take what you needed in order to sleep and exercise. It won't be for ever, so the amount of analgesic shouldn't be a problem. I think I took the maximum allowed of everything I could take without allergy/side effect problems. Three weeks is nothing and things WILL get better.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Fiona
    I haven't had a TKR, but have had a THR..and this is so familiar..I slept pretty well when I first came home..but the a couple of weeks on the pain kicked in at night..I just couldn't get comfy...I suppose the healing is going on and you will go through phase's of pain...I can only say that things get better...and hopefully it it wont be long before you can get a good night.
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Of course it hurts, it's called healing and maybe over-doing things during the day could be contributing too. You have night pain for a positive reason (you've been repaired) and yes, it is miserable while it lasts but it won't last forever, which is a very good thing. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    I didn't find that how much or how little I'd done during the day made any difference at all actually. DD is probably right in that the pain is part of the healing process. I found, as I think you are, that it came and went at different times. It will go...eventually. Meanwhile, swallow any pills that help!

I think because TKRs have become so common that some of us in the back of our minds think the operation will be no big deal and recovery will be a breeze. It IS a big deal; it's major surgery, and recovery is long and tough. But in my experience it's definitely worth it in the long run!
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    Hi Fiona ,It sound about right where you are now ,that 3 week period I couldnt sleep either pillow between the knees extra meds NOTHING worked well during that middle period, but it will pass as the days get better to ,do you have to wear those compression stockings in bed I found them so uncomfortable as it was in the summer ,TRY NOT TO LOSE HEART ,I am so sure you will find it all well worth it my new knee is my very best bit :) (((())))healing hugs dont forget the arnica tablets for internal healing Marrianne .........................Oh nice to see Helen xx
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    Hi marrianne, nice to see you too, and good to hear your new knee is working well. Have you heard any news from the other '2012 knees'; I'm not here often so I might have missed them?

Fiona, marrianne is right about the arnica, excellent stuff, ask for further advice if you've not taken homeopathic remedies before; I've been using them for years.
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    Helen ,I havent seen anyone on here lately re the new knees ,I did have a long spell of line just before christmas ,I am so pleased you did really well and still are ,I have never looked back either the op was and is a total sucess ,I hope it went well for everyone else ,I wonder if no news means all is well ,hope you had a good christmas to and I will look out for you in the future ((()))Marrianne
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Another thought - pain always seems 'keener' at night because there are not the distractions that daytime offers (I type as a veteran of 17 years' worth of pain). I hope things have been a little better for you over the past couple of nights - it will ease in time, OK? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Hello everyone, I hadn't looked for a couple of days and in the meantime several more have posted. I'm going to check out Marianne's posts re her knee.
    Marianne & Helen are both so positive and a wonderful example of what a successful procedure this is! but to quote Barbara in another post about THR I feel as if I have entered NO MAN'S LAND.
    I think I'll put the rest in a separate post.