Arthritic Elbow... is a pain

Options
alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 3. Feb 2014, 09:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
Over the last 2 months my right elbow has really started to go pear shaped. At night it is really a problem because you lean on your elbows to get a good sleeping position.
I've not had a good nights sleep for weeks, and can feel the joint has " gone". Has anyone on here ever got R.A. in their elbows, because I've never heard of it, and can only see trouble ahead. Thanks, Alanthemanc

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    If it's a joint then it can have arthritis within. I am sorry, mate, and I empathise as I currently am 'enjoying' the complications caused by a broken left arm. I totally get the lack of sleep thing - it's not fun is it? You may need a meds review to help tackle this, when are you next due to see your rheumatologist? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Yup. I do the elbow thing too to the point where they don't properly straighten now. Coupled with the lack of shoulder movement it makes my regular blood tests tricky for all concerned.

They are useful things, elbows - as one discovers when they become useless :roll: I don't use mine to turn over in bed. I 'dig in' first with the heel that's on the side I want to turn towards then fling my body over. If the pain is really bad during the day a sling can help to immobilise it for a time. At night there's only dullers.

I've never had a steroid jab in an elbow but see no reason why they shouldn't do them. Why not ask?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    I have dodgy elbows too , they are both permanently fused at an odd angle and very painful .
    Jillyb
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    I have had problems with my elbow in the past not due to Arthritis but a tennis elbow, yes they can do steroid jabs there I know the relief I got from them. Will they help for Arthritis I don't know it is worth a chat with your GP Alan, hope you can get some relief soon.....................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    I am still struggling with my elbow, 13 months on, I did have an injection into the joint but the pain just returned. Possibly because an elbow is impossible to rest. I have been offered another injection, but haven't bothered as I think it will just return again.

I am learning crutches and holding a bag on that arm aggravate it more, along with trying to use cutlery etc. Personally it makes me very grumpy, so you have my sympathies.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi Alan, how are things today? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Alan
    Sorry you are now suffering with your elbows...I remember many many years ago my late mum suffering from tennis elbow and the pain she was in..they gave steroid injections then...could you not ask about these..or do they not give these with RA..hope you get some relief very soon.
    Love
    Barbara
  • alanthemanc
    alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
    Options
    D.D./ Barbara / Stickywicket
    Another dreadful nights sleep, awake at 3.30, and that's after taking 30mg of amitriptyline, painkillers, etc.
    My right elbow seems as though it has exploded, and when a make a twisting motion with it, you can hear the crunch.
    Stickywicket, I've only just realised that I can't straighten both my arms. This is not good.
    D.D. Spoke with the R.A. Nurse, and she has doubled the dose of Toxiflumab, and said wait and see if it helps. I'm praying.... please , this has got to work.
    Once again, thanks for concern, always good to hear from the gang on here/ Alanthemanc
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    As/when/if it eases up a bit why not ask for some physio? This is the point at which you need to put a lot of effort into keeping the movement you still have. Mine don't straighten but I don't think they're getting any worse thanks to the exercises I do.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright