Water stains

Options
knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 3. Feb 2014, 11:14 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've got two beautiful cut/crystal glass vases of a sentimental nature but our hard water has left white staining inside. I've tried soaking in denture cleaner but without success, so if any forum members have got any tips on how to get rid of this horrible staining, I would be very grateful to hear them. Thanking you.

Janet

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'd try white vinegar or lemon juice.
    Good luck,
    Numpty
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Bi-carbonate soda solution overnight and brush with a very soft toothbrush.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I was going to say vinegar and lemon...hope you mange to get the mark off.
    Love
    Barbara
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Thank you one and all for your very speedy replies. I'll give everything a go.
    I bought these vases some years ago with money left to me by my very dear sweet Nan and I would just love to get them clean.

Janet xx
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    Not to sure Janet ,ALL the above seem good to go .What about Milton ?? maybe try on something you like first ,good luck Marrianne :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Soak them with white vinegar and water (I think it's one measure vinegar to two water). Once the soaking is done (at least 12 hours I think) add some uncooked rice and swirl - the rice should help to remove any remaining encrustation. Hard water is a bind, no? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Thank you dreamdaisy for the tip.

We've got really hard water where I live in Essex and it clogs up everything. But I have to laugh, as my husband worked for the local Water Company as man and boy and he says we've got really good water. :roll:

Janet
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    We have it too here in Ipswich. Our new house has a water softener thingy housed in a small shed outside the kitchen French doors but it's not connected as apparently a separate tap is required for drinking water. I think it's time to get that sorted out - I am fed up with lugging my Brita jug from tap to worktop to kettle (I am currently flying with only 'one wing') and have lusted for a Brita tap for many years. I know, I'm sad. :oops: DD

PS Let us know if the de-scaling works!
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    open a bottle of white, drink it and you won't care....... or did I mean red?