A Quick Update

Options
Meeee
Meeee Member Posts: 19
edited 19. Feb 2014, 09:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello All,
I posted on here back in October last year regarding going to see the rheumatologist so I thought I would give a quick update.

I finally went to see him on the 27th November he sent me off for numerous tests including XRays, Breathing tests, blood tests etc. He has prescribed me methotrexate (now upto 20mg per week), Hydroxychloroquine (2 x 200mg per day) and Folic acid (5mg per week) due to a mix up with the prescription I did not start taking the aforementioned until the 24th December. So far I have not had any improvement but then again it has only been 5 weeks. I currently have a blood test every 2 weeks just to check I am still alive and am back off to the Hospital in March to see the consultant again.

Well that’s about it really. On a plus Side the nursing Staff at my local hospital are very good and they also have a help number you can ring which does through to the rheumatology department answer machine so you can leave a message and they call you back. Which I think is a very good idea.

Sorry I didn’t post an update sooner but I try not to think about any of it to much

Meeee.
Tis Meeee

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I apologise but I don't remember you :oops: but everything you said is very much par for the course. I had fortnightly bloods for years - you get used to it. :wink: Meth & hydroxyl are a standard entry-level pairing and yes, five weeks is not that long for any benefit to be shown (it may be in your bloods rather than in how you feel) but I hope things begin to improve soon. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Thanks for the update. You're right that 5 weeks isn't considered long enough to decide whether or not the meds are working. The blood tests are, indeed, a bind but a necessary one. I've now - after about 14 years without a hitch - reached the dizzy heights of every 2 months :lol: I don't miss any though as I know damage can occur without us noticing anything amiss. I do hope you get some relief before long.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,181
    Options
    Good luck with the new regime and hope it soon starts to work as hoped, it sounds as thought the mtx is agreeing with you otherwise you would say differently I expect. I'm on to bloods once per month which you will hopefully arrive at in due course, when abouts in March are you back for follow-up? - keep us posted. :)
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi I agree with the above 5 weeks isn't long enough to see any change from the meds. I have my blood tests every month to check my inflammatory levels in my blood. let us know how things and what happens in March.
  • Meeee
    Options
    Thanks for the info / support sorry about the late reply, I have a young family so don't get a lot of free time, by the time I do sit down on a evening I am pretty worn out and don't feel much like using a PC. I work in IT so spend all day in front of one so I try and avoid using them in the evenings to give my eyes a rest.

According to by blood tests the drugs have reduced something or other down to 1 which they seemed quite pleased about. I have a review with the consultant 17th March so run though how well I am doing, the only thing currently is my doc won't give me a repeat prescription so each month I have to ring up and get her to prescribe next months does which is a PITA. The hospital have written to her regarding this but at present it has made no difference.

Anyway must get on.

Meeee
    Tis Meeee
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Meeee
    I was wondering how you had got on, glad to see you have started your meds..but sorry I cant offer any advice on them has I have OA, I will have everything crossed for you that they kick in very soon..suppose like you say 5 weeks isn't that long.
    No wonder you are shattered at night with a young family, don't forget we are always here if you need a chat or even a moan...(((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi & welcome,

I wasn't around much at the time of ure post back in October.

It could be ure CRP that's reduced to 1, which would indeed please ure Nurses & Dr as its ure inflammatory marker, I may be wrong tho. If it's lowering something in ure blood work then an improvement is being made already even if you aren't feeling it just yet!!

If you aren't on a stable dose ure GP will be reluctant to take over the repeat prescription. Mine was happy to do it once my rheumy or Dermatologist, depending on who was changing my dose, wrote them a very clear plan to follow. My gp was then left with no choice but to prescribe mine!! I hope you can get it sorted asap.
    My current med can only be prescribed by a consultant so I have no choice but to have it delivered to my Drs surgery from the hospital pharmacy ... I always order it a bit early in case there are any delays :wink:

Good luck & keep us posted.
    Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Meeee
    Options
    Thanks DebbieT that's exactly what is was CRP. All of these abreviations are new to me at present so they go in one ear and straight out the other.

Meeee
    Tis Meeee