Methotrexate Dosage Advice Please!

Options
jojo03
jojo03 Member Posts: 77
edited 5. Feb 2014, 08:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

I'm about to start increasing my meth dose from 7.5mg a week (three tablets), to 15mg a week (six tablets). I know it sounds daft, but I wasn't told how to do this - do other people here take three tablets twice on meth day, or six tablets all in one go?

Thanks,
Jo.

Comments

• petals
    petals Member Posts: 217
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I take 8 all in one go, however, I don't have any tummy trouble ie it doesn't make me feel sick.

I think some people spread them out into two doses per day if they can't tolerate it all in one go.

Hope this helps

Petals x
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    Take the tablets all in one go.

I normally take the tablets at night just after tea as this helps reduce the side effects.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I had a really dodgy tummy when taking the tablets so my rheumy nurse suggested spreading the dose over 3 with meals to lessen the impact- not sure that it helped much though :( . I've now started injections weekly and have far fewer side effects happily.

Deb
  • jojo03
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I don't seem to have any side effects on the lower dose, but when I increase it, I might take it in two doses at first to see how I go.
    Thanks again x.
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,181
    Options
    Perhaps it would be a good idea to ask your team anyway just to get their opinion, them not telling you how to take your dose is a bit slack!

If it was me (and this is not advice, just my personal methods where tablets are concerned) I would probably try & get them to agree to let me hop up in a couple of stages ie a week on 4, then 5, then 6. I'm ultra ultra cautious and especially with stomach side effects and to be honest if Iit turned out that I was going to have a problem taking 5 tablets I'd rather find that out before I took 6. That's my two penn'orth, good luck with the increase - I'm another injecter so it isn't currently tablets for me - all the best, toady.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I take my 6 with breakfast and swill them down the hatch with a mug of tea. Never any problems.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    I'd pop into your local pharmacy and ask, or call your helpline. I'd not like to give any advice on how to take your medication.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I hope you have a rheumatology helpline or at least access to a rheumatology nurse. I'm with As5567 on this - we may be 'experts' but deffo of the wrong sort. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jojo03
    Options
    Thanks all, yes, I should really ring the nurse practitioner and ask her advice. I think I would like to do it one extra tablet a week, as you say toady, and hope for the best!
    Thanks again x.
  • Scarlet
    Scarlet Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Hello, when I went from 10mg to 20mg I did it gradually, taking 12.5mg for a fortnight then 15, 17.5 for a fortnight each. I take all 8 tablets in one go shortly before heading to bed - that way I sleep through all the effects and I never have any problems when I wake up in the morning. Everyone is different though so just find what works for you. Best of luck :-)