Inflammatory Arthritis and fevers, fatigue, feeling flu like

Options
Rosycheeks
Rosycheeks Member Posts: 84
edited 8. Feb 2014, 16:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Firstly a big hello and happy new year to everyone. Its been several months since my last post.

I was wondering how many people with an Inflammatory arthritis suffer with (or have in the past) from fevers, fatigue and feeling flu like? Particularly with the fevers though?

I saw my rheumy yesterday and mentioned the low grade fevers I get (often with a flare) and he told me to see me GP as people with inflammatory arthritis have not had fevers as part of their synptoms for the last 40 years since methotrexate etc.

Soooooo.. does anyone else here suffer from this? Or should I be seeing my GP as he suggested :lol:

Comments

• beckie89
    beckie89 Member Posts: 46
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Rosycheeks,

I have Psoriatic Arthritis, and just before I got diagnosed I had a flare up over a period of 2 weeks, my first symptom was a fever of 39 degrees... followed by 2 more episodes of fever during the episode.

I'm also suffering at the moment, banging headache, tiredness, joint pain and a temp of 38 degrees.

So usually I just ride out the symptoms and go to bed!

Personally I can't see what your GP could do, but then again I'm not a medical professional! :)

Hope you feel better soon!

Bex x
    <3 *Beckie* <3
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    That's an interesting one, Rosycheeks because I'd have said that the combination of fever, fatigue and flu-like symptoms did indicate a flare. However, your rheumatologist clearly feels that your arthritis is under control presumably because they blood tests say so. I assume he's telling you to go to the GP next time it happens for that reason ie it's not your arthritis so it must be something else. Does it happen often? How long does it last? What gets rid of it?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Rosycheeks
    Rosycheeks Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Thank you for your replies :)

It happens when im feeling bad with the arthritis. My temp never goes above 38, so its nothing major. But I wondered if anyone else ever gets a fever with their arthritis? Because according to my rheumy nobody suffers with fevers as part of their arthritis anymore, and hasnt done so for the last 40 odd years since the introduction of methotrexate etc.

xxx
  • beckie89
    beckie89 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Obviously we are medical miracles, because I certainly do lol!

Bex x
    <3 *Beckie* <3
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    I get low grade fevers with flares n that's from fibro as well as PsA!! So I have to disagree with him too!! :?

It's odd, imo, that he thinks that way as we're 'more' susceptible to infection on mtx so I'd have thought there would've been a rise not fall?!? :shock:

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    I certainty do get a low grade fever while having a flare, before I got diagnosed as a child I was put on Antibiotics for a very long time and being treated for a bone infection. For the whole time I had flu like symptoms and a fever most of the time. It wasn't for a year or 2 that they finally looked at Arthritis. So for that reason alone I would have to disagree with your doctor.
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    I am seronegative too and saw my new rheumy on Wednesday. She very clearly said to me that people with sero-ve can have inflammation, joint pain and swelling with no raised inflammatory markers. It is very common apparently. She also asked me specifically about fever.

This was a point of conflict with my last (new) rheumy, whom I ditched pronto. She insisted my arthritis was under control when it clearly isn't (I'm in a flare now.)

I would say you know your own body so trust your instincts. It's important you have a doctor you can trust.
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I have low fever when I'm starting a flare of PsA, spondylitis, Raynaud's. Fatigue and feeling flu-like are mostly constant. I used to be much more aware of the fever-part but I don't even seem to notice much anymore; it's become normal. I think for some with Lupus, etc the fevers can be quite high.

I thought it was common for autoimmune-dysfunctional to experience this.
    I think this has improved for me since taking mtx (1 yr.) So far, I haven't had a virus of any sort.

I guess we are all abnormally normal :D
    Best wishes.
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    If you read the symptoms on the Arthritis Care site, it says fever is one of the symptoms. I get it now and again with RA.
    Christine