Osteoarthritis and Tenosynovitis are they related?

Options
Agape
Agape Member Posts: 76
edited 6. Feb 2014, 11:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, would anyone know if Osteoarthritis and Tenosynovitis are related? I had an ultrasound this morning on my painful hands and was told that I have Tenosynovitis in both hands. The Dr explained what it was, but I wondered if it was related to my Osteoarthritis! Would anyone be able to help me here. Hopefully it will go soon.

Many thanks, :)

Comments

• kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi. I have no idea if they are related but have had tinosynovitis in my right wrist for years, also commonly called R.S.I. Mine was caused by keyboard work and eventually I had to retire slightly earlier than planned because of it. I have found that the problem has eased since then and, so far, have not got OA in my right wrist although my left one has. It is obviously difficult when it is actually in your hands as creams/gels would not, for most of the time, be practical if your hands are likely to come into contact with water. You could try wearing a type of glove/support which you might find helps.

Has your dr/consultant suggested anything to help you, or have you been put in touch with an Occupational Therapist who might be able to help you?

Do hope someone will be able to help you. Let us know how you get on.

Beryl
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I'm sorry, I've no idea. I've a vague feeling it's more common in people with diabetes.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Agape
    Options
    Thank you for your replies,

Beryl I had been thinking of getting a kinda splint to help when doing anything that might be annoying the problem but having both of my hands affected I might look like the bionic woman, Lol. :lol:

Stickywicket, thanks for replying, I can't seem to find anything on the internet for an answer, so perhaps I just need to find the right buzz words and the answer will pop up. :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    http://www.tenosynovitis.org.uk/causes-of-tenosynovitisv

Is this any use? I see it can be related to RA but, at a quick glance, no mention of OA.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Agape
    Options
    Hi Stickywicket, thanks for the link. :)