Inflammation

Options
ELAINE55555
ELAINE55555 Member Posts: 123
edited 8. Feb 2014, 06:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,
I have RA in my wrists. They have been painful lately so was sent for an ultrasound which showed inflammation. I am on inject meth 25g and hydroxy. Will probably be weeks before I get appointment at clinic. The RA has not spread anywhere else, for which I am very grateful, but am I expecting too much to be pain and inflammation free? I still have to work and some days it is difficult, with stiff and painful hands. Moan over.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've learned over the years that the meds only suppress and that my auto-immune arthritis can become active if it so chooses. You are on a pretty high dose of injected meth - it could be that this is now not quite enough to keep things under control. I see no reason why you shouldn't contact your rheumatology department and request an appointment - they might even contact you when they receive the results. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    I'm with DD ELAINE contact your rheumy dept, hope you get some relief soon..........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • ELAINE55555
    Options
    You are both right. I am going to be assertive today and phone to request a sooner rather than later appointment, otherwise I will have to wait weeks on them getting in touch.
    Thanks
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Good :lol: 'Pain free' is a concept I'm not familiar with :wink: but inflammation is a different matter and usually means the meds aren't working well enough. Rheumatology are the ones to deal with this.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    I agree, hope you get an appointment soon.
  • Teapot
    Teapot Member Posts: 271
    Options
    Hello I also have RA which is in a few areas which includes my wrists that sometime become inflammed. When I went to my Rheumy Consultant 3 weeks ago they were inflammed and slightly swollen. He gave me wrists supports and they really help. I put these on when I am doing housework, changing bed and using computer, really anything where my wrists are going to be used a lot. They are really helpful when I am packing shopping at supermarket. They are not exactly the height of fashion but better than being in pain. Maybe it is worth asking for some. Good luck.
  • ELAINE55555
    Options
    Took your advice today Valde, and wore my wrist splints to work. I have always been a bit reluctant to wear them at work, but I dont think anyone really noticed them! Will know after a few days if they have made any difference.
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    Options
    There's a librarian at my local library who wears wrist splints but she has customised them! She has flowers embroidered on them and appliques they look rally funky.
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    I was told to only wear my wrist supports at night or after doing any activity. At night because you move your hands around in your sleep, apparently, and when I've not worn them my wrists are much more painful.
    The reason for not wearing them all the time is to do with losing muscle tone and it affecting the tendons. This was what I was told but do check with your rheumy.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Elaine
    Sorry I wont be much help, I have OA...I just hope you can get some relif very soon...cou ld you not ring and ask or beg for an ealier appointment..they do have cancellations now and then a couple of times they have slotted me on the end of there list....xx
    Love
    Barbara