So Much Pain

Options
shandy4greenday
shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
edited 9. Feb 2014, 15:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Sorry for such a long post as I have been having such a rough time lately.I have been in so much pain with my sciatica for months now.I had x-rays on January 1st and have had nothing back,I rang them just over a week ago and all they could tell me was they won't be available for at least another 2 weeks along with my follow up letter (which normally only takes less than 2 weeks).I explained that I am in so much pain but they was not helpful at all.I also have had a lot of pain in my knees especially my right knee,more so when I raise from my chair or climb stairs.I am not sleeping well either as several nights a week I get what I can only describe as something similar to cramp but very uncomfortable rather than pain. I have recently had a bout of flu which after a week I thought had gone only for it to return again 2 days later followed by another flare,I have for the last couple of days had a sore throat causing pain on the right side of my neck and ear.I decided to go to see my GP eventually and I was informed that he had my x-ray results which are fine,I think he meant with regards to no damage.He prescribed me with Tramadol for the pain for my sciatica.I tried to explain about my knee pain and my leg but all he could say is to take pain killers.I just wonder if this is all they will do now and it's part of having this illness that we have to get used to or should this be looked at.Will my sciatica be here all the time everyday for the rest of my life as I've never had it before and have now had it since August/September but just didn't realize what it was even though I had mentioned it a few times to Rheumatology but they was not listening.I can't sit for long due to the pain in the back of my thighs and after a while of standing my back hurts.I just feel it is now ruling my life as all i can do is lay down for some relief.Sorry to have a moan I have just had enough of it every single day,I failed my medical a couple months ago and lost my ESA so now need work which is hard,who will employ me when I am in so much pain.

Comments

• bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that you're having such a bad time. I can certainly empathise with you as I am experiencing virtually the same thing. I have horrible pain in my buttocks and thighs and finally went to see my gp who sent me for x-rays. These showed OA in my right hip and lower back, I also have fibromyalgia which also causes terrific pain everywhere. It's now turned 2am and I still haven't managed to sleep. I wish I knew what to suggest you would think that in this day and age there would be someone or something that could help us. I hope that things begin to improve for you soon. Take care, Deb
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I'm sorry I cant think of anything to say. I have OA in hips, ankle, and back. Also scoliosis in my back.
    How on earth can you work? :?:
    Is there no way that you can appeal that? :o
    As for going up stairs.......which leg goes first? :?:
    It might make it easier if the good one goes first and the bad knee last and a stick/crutch
    Think......good one goes to heaven and the bad one to hell.
    I know that helps me.
    You have so much else going on as well.
    Hopefully others will come along with answers.......meantime all I can do is send you some gentle (((((((((()))))))))) :wink:
    love
    Hileena
    by the way....what do you use as a support? Crutches?? Stick???
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I'm sorry, shandy4greenday, but I can't remember where your troubles normally lie though I think yours is RA. Am I right? I don't recall where.

I think, in many cases, the cause of sciatica is not known (I don't think there's any connection with RA) and it does go away in time. It can, however, be caused by a slipped disc so that's probably what your GP was checking for on the x-ray. I don't think it's a rheumatology problem which would be why your rheumatologist seemed not interested.

As for the knee and leg pain – if you don't normally have pain here (or even if you do) it might be caused by your walking awkwardly because of the sciatica.

A sore throat doesn't usually cause external pain so perhaps that's a muscular thing though, as I recall, you are on meth aren't you so don't neglect a sore throat. For that reason (meth) you should also have had a flu jab last October. However, 'flu' that only lasts a week sounds more like a bad cold. It sounds as if you've been generally under the cosh.

Sciatica is, quite literally, a pain. It can last for some time. One of my husband's golfing friends, a very fit man, has been unable to play for several months now due to sciatica. The only thing that has helped him is physio. You could ask for some exercises. Other than that I think all you can do is take the pain relief.

I'm really sorry about the ESA and work problems but it's an area I know nothing about so I hope others can help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    Thankyou all,Sticky you are correct I have RA and I am on Meth.My RA normally effects mostly my hands and wrists but for some time have been under control due to the Meth thankfully.I have had my flu jab so I think you are correct and just must of had a bad cold maybe also due to feeling a bit run down maybe too.The job centre told me no point in appealing as I wont win and put me on job seekers.I have been doing some voluntary but been too ill to work last 2 weeks but they really understanding.I took some Tramadol last night and I must admit I have just had the best sleep in such a long time but I don't think I will be able to use them at work or if out as they made me rather drowsy but at least some relief.I am feeling quite a bit better today also so maybe on the road to recovery if it doesn't come back again in a few days like before as even my throat much better too.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    That's good news :D Maybe you could ask your GP or pharmacist for some 'lighter' pain relief for during the day. I'm not sure what you can take with tramadol but they'll know. Everything is easier after a good night's sleep, isn't it? I hope things continue to improve.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello shandy
    I am so sorry you are struggling like this..sciatic pain is horrendous..but can come and go and there are quite a few causes...your back can be trapping the nerve and your hip the sciatic nerve runs along the back of the hip..the only things that helps me is gabapentin...I hope you can get the ESA sorted out put..how on erath they expect you to work is beyond me...good luck..((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    Thankyou and I have Co-Codamol for during the day 8/500 as the higher dose is too much for me. Co-Codamol is effective sometimes and I am still able to do day to day activities with it.
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    Options
    I take dihydracodeine 30mg which I tolerate much better than codeine 30mg or tramadol, it might be worth giving them a try.
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    I will have to speak to my GP about that thank you.