Inner knee pain at night

Options
bairn4sure
bairn4sure Member Posts: 16
edited 12. Feb 2014, 05:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, hoping someone can help with this problem.
I am being wakened several times a night with pain in my inner knees. When I sleep on my side, the knee on the upper leg has pain on the inside. I have no problems with my knees during the day either walking, working in the garden etc. I suspect it is arthritis as I've had operations on both of my thumbs and titanium plates inserted. I damaged the main thumb joints doing workouts at the gym but clearly arthritis had been present. I have seen 2 consultants a couple of years ago who were unable to diagnose anything but the pain is getting worse. One of them mentioned pressure pain and it seems like that when I'm sleeping and I've also read about muscles relaxing and causing the bones in my knee to rub against each other.
I would very much appreciate views and hopefully remedies for this condition as other people must suffer in a similar fashion.
Thank you in advance.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've had painful knees for years thanks to two kinds of arthritis. I'm a side-sleeper and sleep with a pillow running lengthways from ankles to groin as this helps to stop my knees and ankles resting on each other and causing further pain. I also take some pain relief before bed to help me settle. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Could be muscular. Have you thought of seeing a physio?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the forum
    Like DD I use a pillow between the knees at night to keep the pressure of both them and my hips..very complex things are knees..maybe an MRI scan would show more up.
    Love
    Barbara
  • bairn4sure
    Options
    Thank you very much to dreamdaisy, stickywicket and barbara12 for very speedy responses. I haven't tried a physio but will definitely consider that but first of all I will try the pillow treatment.
    Your advice much appreciated.
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Options
    I had quite bad pain at night from OA in my knees long before it became a problem during the day and while walking :0(
  • bairn4sure
    Options
    That's what bothers me, Fionabee, but thanks for response. Something to look forward to! ;)
  • Cariad71
    Cariad71 Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Sorry I can't comment on the cause/treatment etc but like Barbara if my joints are sore I find a thin soft (cheap are best) pillow between the legs works at night! It also seems to help my hip/SI pain by keeping the pressure off and keeping the hips a bit more aligned, I think!
  • bairn4sure
    Options
    Many thanks, Carlad71, I am definitely going to follow the pillow advice.