shaving the back of kneecap

Options
supereds
supereds Member Posts: 10
edited 10. Feb 2014, 18:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all in my last post i talked about my next surgery kneecap replacement,my consultant told me he was going to open me up turn the kneecap around and shave and reshape the back but ive read that sometimes the kneecap can shatter what will happen if this happens any ideas.
thanks again phill

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Don't take my word for this, Phill (Much better to ask your surgeon) but my understanding is that the kneecap isn't, strictly speaking, necessary and we can, at a pinch, manage without it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think this is something to discuss with the surgeon - we may know a great deal about Living with Arthritis but to the best of my knowledge none of us do operations, we undergo them is all. The knee cap is not part of the joint, it's there to protect it and is therefore 'decorative'. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • supereds
    supereds Member Posts: 10
    Options
    thanks for your replies just getting bit nervous,dont know why ive had so many operations this should be a doddle.

cheers phill
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Phill

Definitely a question for your surgeon. They expect you to ask questions. I have had quite a few ops in my time with may be 4 more in the fairly near future. However many ops one has had, no operation is a doddle until over and we all get nervous before an op regardless of how many ops we have had in the past.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.