Interpreting blood results

Options
fortuna
fortuna Member Posts: 149
edited 21. Feb 2014, 15:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Can anyone tell me the normal levels for CRP, ESR, HB, RBC and Monocyte count. How is the liver function test written on the results. And any others that might be helpful. I saw my Dr this am and took it all in, I thought! Now need some help interpreting the long list of results she has printed out for me.
Thanks in anticipation,
Fortuna

Comments

• Cariad71
    Cariad71 Member Posts: 99
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi fortuna,

I can't remember the exact normal values for Crp and ESR but I think normal is very low, something like less than 3 for one of them. Normal Hb varies slightly between labs but generally above around 11g (sometimes reported as 110 depending on the units) for women and above 13g for men is normal. Not sure about RBC and monocytes. Liver functions test (LFTs) are broken down into a few, the main ones being ALP or alkaline phosphatase, ALT or alanine transaminase, bilirubin, albumin, and sometimes they will test clotting factors too. ALP is sometimes raised in non liver problems though, like inflammation or bone problems. Mine has been raised in the past when I've been flaring.

If your GP gave you a printout, sometimes the normal values will be in brackets next to your actual level? Hope this helps a bit
  • fortuna
    Options
    Hello Cariad
    The important ones all high but I have only been on MTX for 2 weeks so hopefully the blood test taken today day will have improved. I see my consultant this week - I will take pen and paper!
    Thank you fo taking the time to answer,
    Fortuna
  • fortuna
    Options
    Hello Cariad
    The important ones all high but I have only been on MTX for 2 weeks so hopefully the blood test taken today day will have improved. I see my consultant this week - I will take pen and paper!
    Thank you fo taking the time to answer,
    Fortuna
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's the age-old conundrum: define 'normal'. I doubt that the meth has had enough time to get into your system - do you have the purple booklet in which the medicos record your blood results? There's a section at the back which gives basic info about the tests, what they measure and the 'normal' range for figures. Hospitals vary in their liver figures 'tolerance' - mine is happy with anything under 50, I vary between 15 - 21. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello fortuna
    Sorry I cant help, but I do hope that meds kick in very soon..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Do you really need to know ? The GP will presumably tell you the results before you know them and what will you do if if one is out of normal ?
    I think that you could frighten yourself trying to interpret the whole picture.
    I never ask for my results but just look through my record book each month after the figures have been entered for the previous month at blood test time. This is the benefit or shared care - I do not have to worry. I will know when I am ill.
  • fortuna
    Options
    Hi, What you say is true but I feel we need to understand as much as we can,
    Cheers Fortuna
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I think the point that pot80 was making, and I would agree, is that we're not going to understand them as we don't have the requisite 6-7 years of medical training. If you have your little booklet (Mine's blue, not purple) the normal parameters are given. If there's the least problem my GP contacts me. If you're on meth you should have a booklet. It's early days yet for the meth to be doing anything for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    In my early days I was close to being obsessed with my blood results, especially the CRP and ESR. After a few years it all got very boring, especially when my GP would call me in to repeat tests which were perfectly OK rheumatology-wise. :roll: I now realise that if things are going wrong (and in the past they have) rheumatology will contact me ASAP. Now, seventeen years on I struggle to remember to get them done - they're a total bind, albeit a necessary one. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    if you have monthly blood test for Methotrexate you can get a blooklet to update your results from your surgery , its done by the National Patient Safety Group , its online but better to have the booklet

personaly I prefer to know whats going on , with my CRP & ESR
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,

Wen I was on mtx they kept my book at the GP Surgery so I never saw it so haven't a clue wot colour it was or wot was in it!!

I've never ever had ESR done ... I'm not sure if they just prefer the more accurate CRP even tho it doesn't come back til the following day?? I genuinely haven't a clue.
    My GP, Rheumatologist or Dermatologist would ring if anything alarmed them too much.

My 'normal' is abnormal apparently!! I give up & let the Drs tell me wen something is wrong but wot I have learned is ... Pain doesn't necessarily correlate to my CRP result, I can be in agony without swelling showing in blood results. I've no idea why that's the case but it is!!

(((Hugs)))

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • fortuna
    Options
    Thanks for all your views. I have just received my booklet which I must take to the surgery for the nurse to update,
    Cheers,
    Fortuna
  • MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 282
    Options
    just for information

ive found over the years that each hospital has its own safe range and can vary quite considerably. even my hospital has changed its range since the labs went private and they installed totally new monitoring equipment.

these are my hospital base ranges now

C-reactive Protein
    CRP - 0.0 - 5.0

Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate
    ESR - 1 - 20

Full Blood Count

haemoglobin - 13.0 -n17.0
    red cell count - 4.40 - 5.80
    PCV - 0.37 - 0.50
    MCV - 80-99
    MCH - 26.0 - 33.5
    MCHC - 30.0 - 35.0
    RDW - 11.5 - 15.0
    platelet count - 150-400
    MPV - 7.0-13.0
    white cell count - 3.0-10.0
    neutrophils - 2.0-7.5
    lymphocytes - 1.5-4.0
    monocytes - 0.2-1.0
    eosinophils - 0.0-0.4
    basophils - 0.0-0.1

bilirubin (total) - 0-21
    alkaline phosphatase - 30-130
    alanine aminotransferase - 10-50
    albumin - 35-50

sodium - 133-146
    potassium - 3.5-5.3
    urea - 2.5-7.8
    cretanine - 66-112
  • fortuna
    Options
    Thanks Mr DJ. that looks to be very helpful.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    :o Does it :lol: I wouldn't have a clue what to make of it. Do be careful, fortuna. As MrDJ wrote, they are his hospital's base ranges for now. If even different hospitals can't agree how can we take anything out of that? What you need is what's normal for you, in your current situation / age / medical history etc. Be careful.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 282
    Options
    sorry for the confusion. they are the base ranges for my hospital for all patients. as i said they can vary but not by that much.

for example the 2 main ones for arthritis are

C-reactive Protein CRP - 0.0 - 5.0 anything below 5 is in range and classed as normal

Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate ESR - 1 - 20 anything below 20 is in range and classed as normal.

before i started my mtx and infliximab infusion my esr was 122 and crp 97
    i think my last readings were 20 and 7
    the high readings show the activity of the various forms of arthritis.

even though my readings are better in range now it doesnt mean im pain free (oh i wish it did).
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    the Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate ESR is a very personal result & good guide to how you are doing , you cant compare it other people in the same way you can with CRP

if you get the booklet talk it over with your rheumy nurse as only few results do you need to look at , ie CRP/ESR & maybe ALT if you are having raised liver results because of MTX

on CRP , if the reading is over 50 then its normaly because of a infection & not RA