Feeling like a yoyo

Options
Shantelx
Shantelx Member Posts: 22
edited 12. Feb 2014, 06:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I've had RA since I was 6, I've been on all sorts of medication trying to keep it under control, however since I've hit my 20s (now 24) everything seems to be going downhill. I have been on methotrexate and tried numerous anti TNFs, I've had rituximab unfortunately all have failed now I'm waiting to start a new one called tocilizumab is any one on this? Also I have a lot of problems with my immune system it's practically non existent so it prevents treatments being able to be carried out straight the way. I've started now to feel withdrawn down fed up emotional and questioning the future. I long to have children some day but have been told when my RA is active I do not ovulate. Sorry if this is a bit rambled I'm new and this is my first post just looking for some advice or positive feed back on this new drug and how successful people with serve RA have been conceiving children

Thank you :?

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

Welcome to the forum, It is OA I have and cannot give you any advice on your RA sorry, I just want to offer my support. I am sure some of the other ones will be along soon to give you some advice. Nice to meet you Shantelx, hope to see you around...................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Shantelx
    Options
    Thank you so much means a lot it's nice to know there are others there even if it's just to offer an ear

:)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Shantel
    and a warm welcome to the forum
    Bless you have suffered for so long, I do count myself lucky I was in my 60s when arthritis struck.
    Don't feel alone you now have us to talk to,I cant help with any advice on your meds but I am a good listener..and we do have a few ladies on here that have had babies..granted they had to come off there meds for a while.
    Wish I could help more..but it really will help for you to talk .((()))xx
    Oh meant to say we have the helpline at the top of the forum if you want a chat with them...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Shantelx
    Options
    Oh that's great I didn't realise we could call to thank you ladies already reading a lot of the post in the forums is helping some of even had a little smile just because it's a great feeling to know your not alone in how your feeling!! Thank you

:)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    you stay with us Shantel...this forum has been a life saver for me and many others..yes we do like a laugh...the helpline is always available..and they are so good at listening..
    You take care..and the meds you were asking about you could start another thread on it..sorry forgot the name but I think we have quite a few people on the same x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Mormodook
    Mormodook Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Hi shantelx ,
    You will find this forum so good , everyone is so helpful and tries their best to reassure people and give advice. I got RA in my mid twenties ( I'm now 40 something ) and I have 2 kids. I was diagnosed about 6 months after baby 1 was born and I went on to have another baby 3 years later. Don't give up hope ! X
  • Shantelx
    Options
    That's great to hear!!! This is already helping just reading other peoples posts Thank you!! xx
  • Cariad71
    Cariad71 Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Hi shantel,

I'm also new to the forum, was diagnosed at age 21 and am now 28. I've been luckier than you that I was well controlled on methotrexate, not had to try anti TNFs yet so I'm sorry I can't help you with advice on tocilizumab, like Barbara suggested maybe you should start a new thread with that in the title as I'm sure people on here can advise you on their experiences with it.

Sorry to hear you're feeling so down. Regarding the future and having kids, I've been reading up on this an awful lot lately because I'm thinking of trying soon. I'm off meds except steroids and an NSAID for now because of this. I haven't read anything so far that suggests RA reduces your chances of having a baby or increases your risk of problems. I suppose there's the general opinion that if your body's not doing too well you may not ovulate but I've found nothing solid to suggest this at all. Ive been on the pill a long time so i dont actually know if i ovulate!

I think the main problem is whether to try and come off meds completely to have a baby or stay on some of the ones that are considered generally safe in pregnancy. You can find lots of information on this on the Internet too but I think it's always best to speak to your rheum team when the time comes as opinions differ hugely and they will know you. It also takes a lot more planning than healthy people to have a baby with a chronic disease like RA, which i never thought about when i was younger! There certainly are lots and lots of women out there who've had babies successfully with RA and other types of arthritis so don't feel this will never be an option for you.

There have been a few ladies on here share their experiences of pregnancy, although I'm not sure they post anymore (too busy wi babies I expect!) if you type pregnancy into the search box on here you can see old posts. I've found it good to read these for info and encouragement.

I wish you the best and hope you feel better soon xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Shantel, welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place! We support each other, we are a family and help and advise one another when we can I've been told my Arthritis started when I was of a school age but I wasn't properly diagnosed till I was late 20's, I contacted the Arthritis Care helpline when I was having a bad time emotionally coming to terms with everything and they pointed me in the direction of the forum and I've been here since. we also have a laugh (check out Chit Chat forum!), if you enjoy reading I run a book club you can find that on Chit Chat. Welcome again to AC forum.
  • Shantelx
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your positive support you've all managed to put a smile on my face!! Thanks again for the info on the pregnancy issue I'll have a look at older posts, I shall have a look at this chit chat forum too thank you for all your feed back :)

Xx