Drugs - what's out there?

Options
Pippa
Pippa Member Posts: 23
edited 17. Feb 2014, 06:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all. I'm due back to see my consultant this week. I am hopeful she will change my drug regime as so far metho and sulf have not been successful and she did hint at that.

So after sulf and metho has been tried, what has anyone been offered next and has it worked? Forewarned is forearmed as they say!

Or will she just up my dosage for the third time? Thanks.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    There are various options for her. She could up the dosage, add in another med (Leflunomide? Hydroxychloroquine?) or start you on one of the anti-tnfs though you're supposed to have failed on 3 DMARDS before they are used. Different people have different priorities but I'm rather glad I've never needed the anti-tnfs. I think the important thing is to get the disease under control and your rheumatologist will know, from your blood tests, when this is the case. Don't judge simply by pain. That's a whole different ball game :lol:

Arthritis Reseach UK has a comprehensive list here http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/rheumatoid-arthritis/treatments/dmards.aspx
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Pippa
    Options
    Thank you sw. I didn't realise it was three dmards! I thought it was two.
    My bloods show a rise in crp etc so something's not working. It hasn't even stayed the same despite all these drugs I'm taking.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I failed on sulph alone, then the following with sulph; meth, leflunomide and cyclosporine. This all took a number of years but now my health authority has changed its rules; if something basic hasn't worked within 6 - 12 months you are put on an anti TNF. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Pippa
    Options
    Humira is what's out there apparently!

Next step is upping my sulf and changing my meth to injections, then my consultant said I will start Humira in May.

Well fingers crossed something will work. In the meantime back on steroids.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I do hope the humira helps. Good luck with it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Good luck Pippa hope humira helps!
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Hi Pippa,

For me, it went sulfasalazine, then methotrexate tablets, then straight on to etanercept when my body rejected the two DMARDs. I felt there was scope to try other DMARDs, but my then consultant was keen to get me onto anti-TNFs instead.

It's good that your consultant has changed your drug regime and I hope it works out for you :)

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry I cant offer ant advice but I do wish you well with whatever meds you try...
    Love
    Barbara