Can anyone help, please?

Options
kentishlady
kentishlady Member Posts: 809
edited 17. Feb 2014, 04:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone. Just to add to my other OA problems, I have had an increasingly painful swelling on the inside of my wrist for several months. I had already booked an appointment with my dr today so mentioned it to her. She tells me it is an 'arthritic hernia' but says that there is nothing that can be done for it. Has anyone else got one of these and, if so what, if anything, have you found helps with the pain? The only thing I find helps is resting it and/or warm wheatbag (another one!). Any advice will be very welcome.

Hope you are all having/had as good a day as possible.

Beryl

Comments

• valde
    valde Member Posts: 271
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello . I have RA and also have a pea size lump on the inside of my wrist. Yes it is a little painful but when I showed it to Physio today he said it is normal to get these every now and then. I have had them before and they have disappeared on their own accord but pop back every so often. I had one on the inside of my foot at beginning of summer and a doctor tried to take fluid out and it was very painful so personally I would not have this done again. My GPs opinion is to leave alone and he called them ganglions (sorry not sure if that is right spelling). Heat helps mine if they get too much (hot water bottle).But if you are worried maybe a chat with your GP would help. Good luck.
  • kentishlady
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, Valde. Mine is a lot bigger than a pea! I am finding I can't hold or grip things. It seems to be affecting my thumb as well, but my dr says that is just OA. Have already got it in my left shoulder and arm plus my wrist now, along with right knee and back. Am wondering what is going to be next? My dr thinks it will be my left knee. I told her she was meant to be reassuring me! Warmth does seem to help it a bit.

Beryl
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi Beryl;

Does your lump look like this one?

http://www.eatonhand.com/img/img00036.htm

I have a ganglion on the topside of my wrist. It makes my whole hand ache when it's painful. I believe having a steroid injection near the spot can help. Mine gets painful when I do to much. I wear wrist splints to help but sometimes they are so cumbersome that I take them off. This is when the cyst enlarges and becomes painful again.

I also have a diclofenac 10% (prescription) topical rub that really helps plus heat, as you said. I keep mine under control with this and my splint. If you go the splint route, it's useful to have it fitted properly by an OT.

Sorry you have this, they are very painful!!
    Take care,

(((()))Anna
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Beryl, I've heard of these but have not (as yet) gained one. I suspect it's going to be another one of those things that we have to live with - you've self-helped with the resting and heat and methinks that that is probably the best you can do. :( In this day-and-age you would think that more answers would be out there but they're not: my feeling is that the sheer ubiquity of OA precludes much in the way of medical interest - summat dramatic or unusual though? They fall over themselves to research! :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Beryl
    Sorry I cant help but im glad to see some ofthers have come forward with some info,xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, we're a few days on now, how's things? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • kentishlady
    Options
    I don't think it's made too much difference, DD. I had a chat to a pharmacist when I went shopping on Friday. He suggested putting 'pain-relieving(?) gel on it and then putting a tubigrip on it. That does help for a little while but I then need to take it off as it feels too tight, even though he measured my wrist to ensure I had one which wouldn't be too tight. I try to use it when I am doing things as It makes things a little easier, but if I am not doing anything inv particular, i.e being lazy! , then I take it off. Think it's a case of trial and error?

Hope your arm is improving. Don't try and do too much too soon.

Beryl