R.I.P Sid Caesar

rondetto
rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
edited 13. Feb 2014, 12:01 in Community Chit-chat archive
Anyone remember this man?

Sid Caesar, the doyen of US TV comedy in the fifties, has died at the age of 91. His "Show of Shows" with Imogen Coca was a stand-out series with writers including Mel Brooks, Larry Gelbart, and Neil Simon but, unlike contemporaries such as Phil Silvers, Jack Benny, Burns and Allen and Lucille Ball, his TV programmes never crossed the Atlantic to the UK where he was relatively unknown. Some may remember his contributions to "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" (in which he played Edie Adams' husband) or Mel Brooks' "History of the World Part 1" but his passing probably marks the end of an era. RIP.

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry Ron I dont remember him..maybe like you say his show didn't cross the water...RIP Sid...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I remember him, he played the sports coach in Grease. There was a funny scene where he was trying to roust up the team and one of the school clerk was getting really excited by it. Hehehehehe

Kath

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein