Picking your brains

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 17. Feb 2014, 10:35 in Community Chit-chat archive
Does anyone have a suggestion for ensuring my bedside mat doesn't slip on the laminate floor?

It has some sort of rubberised back which used to work well. It still looks perfectly OK (ie the rubber isn't breaking up) but numerous washes have resulted in it losing its grip. (A bit like its owner :lol: ) It now keeps folding up, over or under when I least expect it to and the law of averages says I'm way overdue a proper fall as opposed to the balletic moves I regularly employ to remain upright.

I do like something warmer than laminate for that first step out of bed in the 'wee' hours.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Check out rug gripper on a****n. Mig
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    I bought anti-slip matting stuff for under my rug in my sitting room which has laminate flooring, although I can't remember what it is called :oops: you can get it at any place that sells rugs................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • valde
    valde Member Posts: 271
    Hello - I too have laminate floors and bought mine in a roll at I..a and I cut to size. It works well for me.
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Hi Sticky;

I bought an anti-fatigue mat for beside my bed and one for my old dog. I put a rug over each for warmth and they never slip. They were expensive but worth every penny!
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I've got some mesh for under mats that works well. Think I got it from B*yes.
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that Japanese wives were expected to lie on the floor so their husbands would not have to place their delicate little trotters directly on the cold floor. I suggest a spot of role-reversal in the SW household. 8) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Cariad71
    Cariad71 Member Posts: 99
    Lol at the above comment! :lol:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Sw like someone else has said I buy the rubbrised stuff on a roll from Wilkies..comes in for all sorts..its stopped thing slipping of trays...mats slipping etc
    Love
    Barbara
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Underfloor heating.
  • stickywicket
    :shock: :shock: :shock: And the relative costs between that and a gripper???

Thank you all. You have reminded me that I do actually have some of that gripper stuff, bought to prevent the microwave from travelling to foreign parts when it's door is opened. There is now some under my bedroom mat and it works.

DD I loved your suggestion but I can see one or two minor difficulties in implementing it.

I should, perhaps, have explained in my original post that Mr SW hails, not from Japan but Wigan. Neither is he, even remotely, of the feminine gender and is much more likely to be found watching rugby than any home improvements programme. Even so, I have given your suggestion due thought but I fear the obstacles are just too great.

1. It would require me to (a)wake him (b)kick him out of bed (c)persuade him to stop cursing, go round to my side of the bed and then lie down on the floor. We have been married some 45 years. Need I say more?

2. Even if the above could be achieved the resultant 'bedside mat' would not be of a shape ideally suited to the arthritic feet/legs which lack balance. My disability requires flatness. 'Flat' is not one of Mr SW's attributes. Indeed, it is not a concept with which he is very familiar except in the description of a grossly inferior glass of ale.

3. Assuming the ability to overcome all of the above I fear my resulting quality of life would be irrevocably poorer insofar as it was in the power of my beloved spouse to ensure that outcome.

So, thanks, but no thanks.

(I assume this is a solution you have regularly practised with the lovely – and level? - Mr DD?)
    Steven Wright
  • ichabod6
    Hello sw,

Home comforts, my love, home comforts.
    I know Yorkshire ladies can be tight with their brass, but
    even they cant take it with 'em when they go. Spend some.
    St Helens had a rattling good win last night.
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    DD and Sticky, you do make me laugh. :lol::lol:
    Christine
  • fortuna
    fortuna Member Posts: 149
    I used to crochet slippers for friends and family and had to paint the soles with copydex to stop them slipping. I think that might work and one pot would cover I think and possibly be the cheapest method if you are able to manage the painting bit.
    Fortuna
  • stickywicket
    ichabod6 wrote:
    Hello sw,

Home comforts, my love, home comforts.
    I know Yorkshire ladies can be tight with their brass, but
    even they cant take it with 'em when they go. Spend some.
    St Helens had a rattling good win last night.

Take what with me? You can't spend what you don't have :roll:

Yup and Huddersfield beat Wigan last week. It's starting well :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • ichabod6
    Huddersfield are my second favourite team.
    It all started there didnt it?
  • stickywicket
    It did indeed, ichabod. Inside The George Hotel by the railway station. I have fond, primary school memories of my claret and gold scarf with the claret bonnet attached, knitted by my Mum's fair hands. (We was poor but we was 'appy. Cue the violins :wink: )
    Steven Wright