A Living with arthritis story

Options
phoenixoxo
phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
edited 27. Feb 2014, 15:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

Today I've been between work projects, so I had time to finish a story I started a while ago, about being approached by a religious man. I've posted it on my blog page as it's a bit long for a forum post!

I don't know whether it'll strike a chord with anyone, but just in case...

http://phoenixoxo.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/fast-faction-how-to-find-happiness.html

Best wishes,
Phee
PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Nice one, Phee. Yup, there's certain brand of 'religious' people who do prey (note the spelling :wink: ) on 'the incapacitated'. I've had a few run-ins.

There are more ways than one of being 'incapacitated'. At least you are aware of your limitations. It's a big plus :lol:

As a christian (I know it's not obvious but I do try :oops: ) I find it utterly nonsensical that the God of love would be used as a battering ram to force people to believe in him.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Thanks Phee;

Good story :D ! It brought back memories for me, especially of that moment when you realise you've been deceived and are suddenly trapped in an unwanted conversation about an uncomfortable subject.

xxAnna
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Brilliant phee...take me back to a time when my friend ask me to her church...I wont mention names..but I am very happy with what I have..you have such a good writing technique...I have tried but could never grasp it x
    Love
    Barbara
  • phoenixoxo
    Options
    Hi stickywicket, Anna, barbara,

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated :)

I posted this story on a writing forum not too long ago. I wasn't sure whether many members would connect with it, but it seems a lot of people encounter this sort of pushiness, whether or not they're visibly disabled!

Spot on about battering ram, s/w. I have a few Christian friends and they've never shoved their faith in my face, so to speak. Anna, that moment's the worst bit of these sorts of approaches, I find, feeling so trapped, just as you describe. And Barbara, that sounds like an interesting time! Thanks so much for the compliment on my writing :)

I meant to add, everyone's welcome to read the other bits of the blog, but I'm slightly overwhelmed with health stuff at the moment so it isn't especially cheery reading! I might write another story at some point, though, as it helps me to make sense of things.

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • Pippa
    Pippa Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're not too well at the mo Phee but I enjoyed reading your blog
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Keep up the writing, Phee, you're good :D , it was very descriptive. I'd read your book. And, life isn't very cheery sometimes....
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Really enjoyed your story, when a "god botherer" tries to enlist me I can't get away quick enough!
  • phoenixoxo
    Options
    Thanks pippa, bridesmum and Anna again!

I'm a bit better this evening as I've had a lovely weekend, very relaxing. It's good to know that people are enjoying the blog. It helps me to write about my medical experiences and perhaps it helps others too :)

Anna, that's so kind, to say you'd read my book. There isn't a book yet, but there's a lot of work in progress, which I try to fit in when I'm not slaving away at the day job!

Hope everyone's had a good weekend too,
    Phee
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Phee
    I meant to post earlier about your blog but forgot :oops:

I'm a Christian, got to church, believe in the power of prayer BUT would never shove my views down others throats :wink:
    In fact I know a few people {one of them being a pastor} who doesn't believe in going to a doctor........you need faith is what he says......in other words if you are ill you haven't got enough faith...aren't a Christian....what a load of rubbish :shock: :shock:

I go to the docs as often as needed, take as many tablets as needed {try to take as few as poss but that's nothing to do with believe that's just because of side effects} :lol:

I really enjoyed your blog.
    In fact the bit about the leaflets made me think :lol:
    I'm a volunteer for arthritis care and I always have little pink cards with me {no matter what bag I have}It gives the web site of AC and the free phone number. I would hand those to people.
    Don't think that's as bad :wink:

Yesterday we were at Dobbies Garden centre and I was on my scooter and met a lady on sticks had the wonderful "passion killers" on :lol:{as had I} She spoke to me. She was 3 weeks post TKR I'm 3 weeks post THR . She was struggling....I gave her a card, showed her the helpline number and she was very grateful.....she didn't know we existed and that there might be a branch close to her that she could go to if she wanted to.

Sorry as usual......rambling
    Once again I really did enjoy your writing.

Love
    Hileena
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    enjoyed the read , hope golimumab works for you , it did not for myself
  • phoenixoxo
    Options
    Hi Hileena and trepolpen,

Thanks for taking the time to read :)

Thanks for wishing me well with golimumab, trepolpen. I don't think anything's changed yet, but it's only been a week after all. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you :)

Hileena, no need to apologise! Thanks for your thoughts on this, which I find very interesting. It's good to know that not everyone uses religion as a battering ram, to use stickywicket's expression :lol:

That pastor sounds a bit peculiar. What would he say if he got arthritis, or any other illness :?:

I see my GP as often as I need to as well. Unfortunately I need to take quite a lot of meds, but it could be a lot worse, of course :)

I think it's great you had an Arthritis Care card for the lady on crutches, nothing like the religious leaflets! It's a positive sort of meeting, where people chat and get to know each other first rather than making those dreaded assumptions. For some time after my encounter with the strange man, I had to remind myself that most people, while they're out and about, aren't on a mission. Luckily there haven't been any further approaches... so far!

Best wishes,
    Phee
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Phee
    I'm glad you've had no more approaches :lol:
    That pastor......just heard something about him recently......he must be in his 70's now and one of the people that go to his church [but doesn't believe what he does about healing] has said that now that he is getting older he's getting more illness [aches and pains] etc and its starting to mellow. :roll:

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    According to one of my ex-parents I have arthritis because Satan is living within my soul so when I find God I will be cured. FCOL (for crying out loud). What is it with these idiots? She prays for me, bless. It's a one-way line hon, no-one's listening but if it makes you feel better . . . .
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I read your story and (the some of the rest of your blog) the other day. You write beautifully. I have bookmarked it. :)
  • phoenixoxo
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi Phee
    I'm glad you've had no more approaches :lol:
    That pastor......just heard something about him recently......he must be in his 70's now and one of the people that go to his church [but doesn't believe what he does about healing] has said that now that he is getting older he's getting more illness [aches and pains] etc and its starting to mellow. :roll:

Love
    Hileena

Thanks, Hileena :)

I'd a feeling that the pastor's views might change in accordance with his bodily condition! I hope he isn't too achy, though. Illness isn't much fun, after all :roll:

Best wishes,
    Phee
  • phoenixoxo
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    According to one of my ex-parents I have arthritis because Satan is living within my soul so when I find God I will be cured. FCOL (for crying out loud). What is it with these idiots? She prays for me, bless. It's a one-way line hon, no-one's listening but if it makes you feel better . . . .

FCOL indeed, DD :x

I think a lot of this targeting comes from folks who need to feel better about themselves, for whatever reason! It does seem odd, though, that the friend determined to pray for me was the first to disown me once she'd seen my new wheels! -- i.e., the powerchair, not wheels attached to my feet, though that would be cool too 8)

Best wishes,
    Phee
  • phoenixoxo
    Options
    Starburst wrote:
    I read your story and (the some of the rest of your blog) the other day. You write beautifully. I have bookmarked it. :)

Wow, thanks Starburst! :)

I don't think I've been bookmarked before. It's a good experience! I'll update this thread once I've added new posts, hopefully after the weekend...

Best wishes,
    Phee
  • phoenixoxo
    Options
    Hi again, everyone,

Hope you've had a reasonable day :)

I managed to take a bit of time off work this weekend to write another story. The beginning of the week saw the third anniversary of my leaving hospital and I decided to honour this by remembering the last hour or so on the ward, followed by a bit of the return journey.

I didn't post the story earlier this week, as I wasn't sure whether people would want to read it! Parts are a bit dismal, so if you're a bit low right now, you might prefer to read my 'pain-med poem' instead. This poem is inspired by the first dream I experienced following prescription of high-dose prednisolone tablets. In brief, I dreamed I was on a boat with my favourite bear, sailing away from the hospital towards a pleasant sort of island. I can't guarantee that reading the poem will make anyone feel good, of course. Some of you might fear for my sanity! I am a bit daft, it has to be said ;>)

Anyway, here is the story: http://phoenixoxo.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/fast-faction-2-crocus-ring.html

… and here is the poem: http://phoenixoxo.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/pain-med-poetry-sail-away.html

Best wishes,
    Phee
  • phoenixoxo
    Options
    PS ...and I meant to add for Mods, if you think this is better suited to Chit-chat, that's fine with me :)