Ex husband has Oa

Options
fortuna
fortuna Member Posts: 149
edited 14. Feb 2014, 17:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
My ex husband has been in touch about his Oa. He tells me that that he has been told he has OA everywhere and that all they can do is tell him to take pain killers. He is 73, has a disabled badge and is very depressed.
Can you have OA everywhere? Any help or advice welcomed as I really don't know how to advise him apart from trying to be firmer with the medics.
cheers, fortuna

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    If it's joint it can have OA and yes, that is all that can be done. Poor chap, I feel for him, I've around 39 affected joints with two kinds of arthritis (PsA plus OA) and that's bad enough.

There are millions with OA in this country but 'treatment' is limited to pain relief, maybe an anti-inflammatory med and possibly (or eventually) surgery. Not all joints are replaceable, however, so not much help on that front, methinks. Heat can ease some of the pain, exercise helps to keep supporting muscles strong but if his is that widespread then that is not going to be easy to do. He has a BB so that is a good thing but that won't help that much; finding a vacant BB space could soon become an Olympic sport. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your ex and yes its quite possible to have it everywhere or almost everywhere. As for OA.....GP's handle this and it does tend to be pain killers and anti inflammatories and any other things you know off....eg heat/exercise you know all the usual stuff

Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi fortuna
    I certainly feel like I have it everywhere...some days I wonder which joints are the worse..the only thing that can help apart form pain relief id the antiinflams..I am not allowed to take them..but maybe your ex could and maybe he could ask to be referred to a pain clinic
    Love
    Barbara
  • fortuna
    fortuna Member Posts: 149
    Options
    Thank you for the info although, obviously, not what I hoped to hear. And there I was nagging him on the phone to be more assertive. I don't think he can take anti inflammatories because of previous gastric problems.
    Perhaps a pain clinic could help at least I can suggest it. But in his frame of mind at the moment it won't be easy.
    As I am pain free since Prednisolone kicked in it almost makes me think I am the luckier one! Would steroids help him?
    Thanks again
    fortuna
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Make sure if he does take {or can take} anti inflammatories
    that he take either lansoprozol or omneprozol {stomach protectors} I'm sure there are others but those are the only 2 I know.
    As for steroids I don't honestly know.

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Steroid jabs might help. Physio might. Hydrotherapy helps some.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright